Excel: Inserting many Horizontal rows in same Cell

In summary: It was a pleasure. Don't know that Excel rates a sub-forum, but perhaps rather a sticky thread for sharing tips on how Excel and other spreadsheets can be used in technical and scientific applications.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all,
I have been trying unsuccessfully to figure out how to insert many horizontal rows into the same
cell in Excel: I have gone over many sites, asked people, all sorts of key combinations, without success.
Any ideas you know work, please?
Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
LOL. Why?

berkeman said:
LOL. Why?
I need to produce a doc for a client that requires content in different cells/rows be pasted into a single cell.

WWGD said:
I need to produce a doc for a client that requires content in different cells/rows be pasted into a single cell.
Text content, or a text version of the calculations for those cells? Multiple cell structures are not compatible with a single cell''s structure, AFAIK

berkeman said:
Text content, or a text version of the calculations for those cells? Multiple cell structures are not compatible with a single cell''s structure, AFAIK
No, say you have text content in cells , say, D4, D5, D6 , and you want all of this written into cell D9, as three horizontal rows, i.e., D9 will contain:

EDIT:
(content of)D4
(Content of)D5
(Content of)D6
within it; three horizontal text rows falling into cell D9 .

Say we have
D4: Today I went
D5: Downtown for a drink
D6 And I left at around 5.

And we want to end up with :
Today I went
Downtown for a drink
And I left at around 5

all in cell D9, or anyone other cell.

Can you make it a different column? Can you give an example? Shoud be pretty easy...

berkeman said:
Can you make it a different column? Can you give an example? Shoud be pretty easy...
Sorry, just edited , please see above.

No comprendo

Can you post a PDF of your spreadsheet? Use PrimoPDF or another free PDF writer...

Ok, please see address on top : I would like address to fit in a single cell:

upload_2017-11-24_20-19-18.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-24_20-19-18.png
    upload_2017-11-24_20-19-18.png
    81.7 KB · Views: 454
So : Safety Lock
1713 Second Avenue
New York...All fitting in a single cell in Excel.

ummm...

maybe I'm not reading this right...

doesn't "alt + enter" get you there?

Or just put them in many vertical cells and then merge the cells at the end. (I used to hate merge cells back when I used excel a lot but every now and then you actually needed it.)

Likes Asymptotic and berkeman
Thanks all,
In case anyone is interested, this worked
I had the text written in a Word document, copied it there, then pasted it into : "Cell Indicator":

upload_2017-11-24_20-51-34.png

i.e., where the "fx" is.

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-24_20-51-34.png
    upload_2017-11-24_20-51-34.png
    42.8 KB · Views: 635
Likes Asymptotic and berkeman
Another approach is to set up a cell to concatenate text contained in source columns like so.
Caveat: I'm using LibreOffice Calc; Excel formulas can be somewhat different.

In this example cells A1 through E1 contain elements of the postal address, and cell F2 contains the formula.
  • ASC(cell) returns the specified cell's text value.
  • & is used to tie individual text strings together.
  • CHAR(10) is the ASCII code value for LF (line feed/new line). This is what the Alt-Enter key combo does.

Combine_text1.jpg
To separate "City" and "State" fields with a comma, substitute a comma for the appropriate line feed.
Combine_text2.jpg

Attachments

• Combine_text1.jpg
    Combine_text1.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 884
  • Combine_text2.jpg
    Combine_text2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 886
Likes WWGD
Asymptotic said:
Another approach is to set up a cell to concatenate text contained in source columns like so.
Caveat: I'm using LibreOffice Calc; Excel formulas can be somewhat different.

In this example cells A1 through E1 contain elements of the postal address, and cell F2 contains the formula.
  • ASC(cell) returns the specified cell's text value.
  • & is used to tie individual text strings together.
  • CHAR(10) is the ASCII code value for LF (line feed/new line). This is what the Alt-Enter key combo does.

View attachment 215684To separate "City" and "State" fields with a comma, substitute a comma for the appropriate line feed.
View attachment 215685
Excellent, man, thanks!. I would even suggest a new subforum for Excel, given how many people use it , and how versatile it can be.

Likes Bystander
WWGD said:
Excellent, man, thanks!. I would even suggest a new subforum for Excel, given how many people use it , and how versatile it can be.
It was a pleasure. Don't know that Excel rates a sub-forum, but perhaps rather a sticky thread for sharing tips on how Excel and other spreadsheets can be used in technical and scientific applications.

1. How do I insert multiple horizontal rows in the same cell in Excel?

To insert multiple horizontal rows in the same cell in Excel, you can use the "Merge and Center" function. First, select the cell you want to insert the rows into. Then, go to the "Home" tab and click on the small arrow next to the "Merge and Center" button. From the drop-down menu, select "Merge Across" to insert the rows horizontally within the cell.

2. Can I insert different types of data in each of the inserted horizontal rows?

Yes, you can. When you use the "Merge and Center" function to insert horizontal rows in a cell, you can enter different types of data in each row. This can be useful for organizing and presenting information in a compact manner.

3. Is there a limit to the number of horizontal rows I can insert in a cell?

There is no specific limit to the number of horizontal rows that can be inserted in a cell. However, the size and formatting of the data within the cell may affect how many rows can be displayed without overlapping or being cut off. It is recommended to keep the number of horizontal rows within a cell to a reasonable amount for readability.

4. Can I insert horizontal rows in a cell that already has data in it?

Yes, you can. When you use the "Merge and Center" function to insert horizontal rows in a cell, the existing data in the cell will be pushed down to accommodate the new rows. However, be aware that this may affect the formatting of the data in the cell, so it is recommended to insert the rows before entering any data.

5. How can I insert multiple horizontal rows in multiple cells at once?

To insert multiple horizontal rows in multiple cells at once, you can select all the cells you want to insert the rows in and then use the "Merge and Center" function. This will insert the same number of rows in each selected cell. Alternatively, you can use the "Insert" function in the "Home" tab and select "Insert Sheet Rows" to insert rows in multiple cells simultaneously.