1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to integrate Acos(wt + theta) ?

1. Sep 3, 2010 #1
    How do you integrate Acos([tex]\omega[/tex]t + [tex]\theta[/tex]) ? Where A is the amplitude, omega is angular velocity, and theta is position? I have no idea what to do. Should I U substitute?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2010 #2
    With respect to theta? omega?

4. Sep 3, 2010 #3
    I'm actually not sure, the integral is being taken from 0 to T and the equation is Acos([tex]\omega[/tex]t + [tex]\theta[/tex])dt

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  5. Sep 3, 2010 #4
    Yes, you can U substitute.
    Or ask yourself what is the derivative of sin(wt+theta).

If the capital T is period(as usual), you don't need to actually integrate it and write down 0 as the answer. Because there is no DC content in a sinusoid.

6. Sep 3, 2010 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That dt tells you that integration is to be done with respect to t, so as far as the integration is concerned, t is the variable and the other two are just constants.

7. Sep 4, 2010 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You would be able to integrate [itex]\int cos(x) dx[/itex] wouldn't you? So it is just that [itex]\omega t+ \theta[/itex] that is the problem.

So let [itex]u= \omega t+ \theta[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook