1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar Coordinates, intersection of a cylinder with a spher

1. Aug 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the Volume of the solid that the cylinder ##r = acos\theta## cuts out of the sphere of radius a centered at the origin.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have defined the polar region as follows,
    $$D = \{ (r,\theta) | -\pi/2 ≤ \theta ≤ \pi/2 , 0 ≤ r ≤acos\theta \} $$

I will take f(x,y) as follows,
    $$ f(x,y) = \sqrt{a^2 - x^2 - y^2} $$

Because of symmetry, I should be able to take the removed volume as double the double integral of f(x,y) over the region D.

$$ V = 2 *\int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} \int_{0}^{acos\theta} r\sqrt{a^2 - r^2} \mathrm{d} r \mathrm{d} \theta $$

After solving this double integral, I keep ariving at ## {2\pi a^3}/3 ## Which I don't think makes sense because that would be half the volume of the sphere. What am I doing wrong???

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Show your work after the above; we cannot tell where you went wrong if you don't show us what you did---in detail, step-by-step.

4. Aug 13, 2014 #3
    ## V = -2/3 * \int_{0}^{2\pi} (a^2 - a^2 cos^2(\theta))^{3/2} - a^{3/2} d\theta ##
    ## \Rightarrow V = -2/3 * \int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} a^3 (1- cos^2(\theta))^{3/2} - a^3 d\theta ##
    ## \Rightarrow V = -(2*a^3)/3 * \int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} sin^3(\theta) - 1 d\theta ##
    ## \Rightarrow V = (2*a^3*\pi)/3 ##

Hope that's enough, any help with be very appreciated.

5. Aug 13, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One obvious problem is the fact that ##\int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} \sin^3 (\theta) \, d \theta = 0## because ##\sin## is an odd function. This, in turn, arises from the mistake of taking ##(1-\cos^2)^{3/2} = \sin^3##. The fact is that you started off with positive square roots, then got a 3/2 power via integration. In fact, ##\sqrt{1-\cos^2} = |\sin|##. You could have avoided all that by using symmetry to just integrate from 0 to ##\pi/2##, then multiply the result by 2.

6. Aug 13, 2014 #5
    Thank you very much, I see where I went wrong. After using your method, I arrived at a final answer of
    ##V = 4/3 a^3 *((3\pi - 4)/6) ##
    which is about 29 percent of the sphere's volume. Makes more sense. Thanks again for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted