Polar Coordinates, intersection of a cylinder with a spher

In summary, the conversation discussed the process of finding the volume of a solid created by a cylinder with radius r=acosθ cutting out of a sphere with radius a centered at the origin. The conversation included defining the polar region and using a double integral to find the removed volume. The mistake was identified as using an incorrect expression for the square root, resulting in an incorrect integral. The correct method was suggested, resulting in an answer of 4/3 a^3 *((3π - 4)/6), which is approximately 29% of the sphere's volume.
DarthRoni

Homework Statement

Find the Volume of the solid that the cylinder ##r = acos\theta## cuts out of the sphere of radius a centered at the origin.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have defined the polar region as follows,
$$D = \{ (r,\theta) | -\pi/2 ≤ \theta ≤ \pi/2 , 0 ≤ r ≤acos\theta \} $$

I will take f(x,y) as follows,
$$ f(x,y) = \sqrt{a^2 - x^2 - y^2} $$

Because of symmetry, I should be able to take the removed volume as double the double integral of f(x,y) over the region D.

$$ V = 2 *\int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} \int_{0}^{acos\theta} r\sqrt{a^2 - r^2} \mathrm{d} r \mathrm{d} \theta $$

After solving this double integral, I keep ariving at ## {2\pi a^3}/3 ## Which I don't think makes sense because that would be half the volume of the sphere. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DarthRoni said:

Homework Statement

Find the Volume of the solid that the cylinder ##r = acos\theta## cuts out of the sphere of radius a centered at the origin.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have defined the polar region as follows,
$$D = \{ (r,\theta) | -\pi/2 ≤ \theta ≤ \pi/2 , 0 ≤ r ≤acos\theta \} $$

I will take f(x,y) as follows,
$$ f(x,y) = \sqrt{a^2 - x^2 - y^2} $$

Because of symmetry, I should be able to take the removed volume as double the double integral of f(x,y) over the region D.

$$ V = 2 *\int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} \int_{0}^{acos\theta} r\sqrt{a^2 - r^2} \mathrm{d} r \mathrm{d} \theta $$

After solving this double integral, I keep ariving at ## {2\pi a^3}/3 ## Which I don't think makes sense because that would be half the volume of the sphere. What am I doing wrong?

Show your work after the above; we cannot tell where you went wrong if you don't show us what you did---in detail, step-by-step.

## V = -2/3 * \int_{0}^{2\pi} (a^2 - a^2 cos^2(\theta))^{3/2} - a^{3/2} d\theta ##
## \Rightarrow V = -2/3 * \int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} a^3 (1- cos^2(\theta))^{3/2} - a^3 d\theta ##
## \Rightarrow V = -(2*a^3)/3 * \int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} sin^3(\theta) - 1 d\theta ##
## \Rightarrow V = (2*a^3*\pi)/3 ##

Hope that's enough, any help with be very appreciated.

DarthRoni said:
## V = -2/3 * \int_{0}^{2\pi} (a^2 - a^2 cos^2(\theta))^{3/2} - a^{3/2} d\theta ##
## \Rightarrow V = -2/3 * \int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} a^3 (1- cos^2(\theta))^{3/2} - a^3 d\theta ##
## \Rightarrow V = -(2*a^3)/3 * \int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} sin^3(\theta) - 1 d\theta ##
## \Rightarrow V = (2*a^3*\pi)/3 ##

Hope that's enough, any help with be very appreciated.

One obvious problem is the fact that ##\int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} \sin^3 (\theta) \, d \theta = 0## because ##\sin## is an odd function. This, in turn, arises from the mistake of taking ##(1-\cos^2)^{3/2} = \sin^3##. The fact is that you started off with positive square roots, then got a 3/2 power via integration. In fact, ##\sqrt{1-\cos^2} = |\sin|##. You could have avoided all that by using symmetry to just integrate from 0 to ##\pi/2##, then multiply the result by 2.

Thank you very much, I see where I went wrong. After using your method, I arrived at a final answer of
##V = 4/3 a^3 *((3\pi - 4)/6) ##
which is about 29 percent of the sphere's volume. Makes more sense. Thanks again for your help!

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a way of representing points in a two-dimensional plane using a distance from the origin and an angle from a reference axis. The distance is called the radius and the angle is called the polar angle.

2. How are polar coordinates plotted?

Polar coordinates are plotted on a polar grid, which is a circular grid with a reference axis and concentric circles representing different radii. The polar angle is measured counterclockwise from the reference axis.

3. What is the intersection of a cylinder with a sphere?

The intersection of a cylinder with a sphere is a circle. This occurs when the cylinder and sphere have the same radius and their centers are aligned. The center of the circle is the point where the cylinder and sphere intersect.

4. How do you find the coordinates of the intersection point?

To find the coordinates of the intersection point, you can use the equations for the cylinder and sphere and solve for the values of the variables. The resulting coordinates will give the point where the two surfaces intersect.

5. What are some real-world applications of polar coordinates and intersection of a cylinder with a sphere?

Polar coordinates and the intersection of a cylinder with a sphere have various applications in mathematics, physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to describe the motion of objects in circular orbits, map celestial bodies, and model cylindrical structures such as pipes and tunnels. They are also used in computer graphics to create 3D images and animations.