How to integrate d2x/dt2 with respect to x?

• I
  • Thread starter Max Loo Pin Mok
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
This means that the derivative of ##v^2## with respect to ##x## is ##2v = 2(dx/dt)##In summary, the conversation in chapter 3 of Vibrations and Waves by French discusses the equations of motion of a mass-spring system, including equations (3-1) and (3-2). The question at hand is how to understand the integration of the first equation with respect to displacement x. The solution involves applying the chain rule and calculating the derivative of a function with respect to another function.
Max Loo Pin Mok
TL;DR Summary
About the mass-spring system.
Can we derive one equation of motion from another?
In chapter 3 of Vibrations and Waves by French, there is a description about the equations of motion of a mass-spring system. It was written as shown in the attached picture:
Equation of Motions.png

Here, m is the mass on the spring, k is the spring constant, x is the extension of the spring, and t is time. My problem is about figuring out how equation (3-1) becomes equation (3-2)? I tried to differentiate 1/2 m(dx/dt)2:
equation 2.png

I got an extra dt/dx which is not there in equation (3-1). Is my working wrong or is there another way of understanding what is in the textbook: "The second is, of course, the result of integrating the first with respect to the displacement x ..."?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are not calculating correctly the derivative $$\frac{d}{dt}\frac{1}{2}m(\frac{dx}{dt})^2$$

if ##f## is a function of ##t##, what is the first derivative of ##f^2##? (w.r.t to ##t##). Then apply this for ##f=\frac{dx}{dt}##

Last edited:
According to the chain rule, you have
$$a = \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{dv}{dx} \frac{dx}{dt} = v \frac{dv}{dx},$$ where ##v = dx/dt##.

1. What is the process of integrating d2x/dt2 with respect to x?

The process of integrating d2x/dt2 with respect to x involves finding the antiderivative of the given function. This is done by using integration techniques such as u-substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution.

2. What is the difference between integrating d2x/dt2 with respect to x and integrating dx/dt with respect to t?

Integrating d2x/dt2 with respect to x means finding the antiderivative of a function with respect to the variable x, while integrating dx/dt with respect to t means finding the antiderivative of a function with respect to the variable t. The former involves finding the antiderivative of a second derivative, while the latter involves finding the antiderivative of a first derivative.

3. How can I determine the limits of integration when integrating d2x/dt2 with respect to x?

The limits of integration can be determined by looking at the given problem and identifying the range of values for the variable x. These values will serve as the lower and upper limits of integration.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when integrating d2x/dt2 with respect to x?

Some common mistakes to avoid when integrating d2x/dt2 with respect to x include forgetting to add the constant of integration, making errors in algebraic manipulations, and not following the correct integration techniques.

5. Can I use a calculator to integrate d2x/dt2 with respect to x?

Yes, you can use a graphing calculator or an online integration calculator to integrate d2x/dt2 with respect to x. However, it is important to understand the concepts and techniques involved in integration to ensure accurate results.