How to integrate this function?

In summary, the person attempted to solve the equation using two different calculators and both gave the same answer.
Mutatis

Homework Statement

I've got to integrate the following $$ \int dx =\int \frac {d\phi} {\phi \sqrt {1 - \phi²}}. $$

Homework Equations

[/B]
I already know the answer but not how to get it. The answer that I got from solution is ## x = \operatorname {arcsech}{\phi} ##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've used two apps to help me get this answer. First I did it using Mathway and I got:
73jgcy.jpg

Then, WolframAlpha told me that ## x = \operatorname {arcsech}{\phi} ## is equal to:
90536r.jpg

After that I took that first equation in the first image and with some algebraic manipulations I got:
2v1n4hw.jpg

So I don't know how to procedure beyond here. This was the closest I achieved from the final answer.

Attachments

• 73jgcy.jpg
    73jgcy.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 754
  • 90536r.jpg
    90536r.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 761
  • 2v1n4hw.jpg
    2v1n4hw.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 668
Physics news on Phys.org
Mutatis said:

Homework Statement

I've got to integrate the following $$ \int dx =\int \frac {d\phi} {\phi \sqrt {1 - \phi²}}. $$

Homework Equations

[/B]
I already know the answer but not how to get it. The answer that I got from solution is ## x = \operatorname {arcsech}{\phi} ##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've used two apps to help me get this answer. First I did it using Mathway and I got:
View attachment 227957 .

Then, WolframAlpha told me that ## x = \operatorname {arcsech}{\phi} ## is equal to:
View attachment 227958 .

After that I took that first equation in the first image and with some algebraic manipulations I got:
View attachment 227959 .

So I don't know how to procedure beyond here. This was the closest I achieved from the final answer.
One approach would be to use a trig substitution, with ##\sin(u) = \sqrt{1 - \phi^2}##, and ##\cos(u)du = \frac{-2\phi d\phi}{\sqrt{1 - \phi^2}}##. The result you get probably won't look like the solution you show, but it should be equal to the solution above within a constant.

Mutatis said:
You dropped a sign somewhere. The derivative of arcsech is the negative of the integrand.

I'd use the substitution ##\phi = \cos u##. It's pretty much the same as Mark's suggestion, but it makes the algebra a little simpler.

Thank you guys! I'm going to try to do it again watching the signs and doing what you've said!

1. What is the process for integrating a function?

The process for integrating a function involves finding the antiderivative of the function and then evaluating it over a given interval.

2. How do I know which integration method to use?

The integration method used depends on the form of the function. Common methods include substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions.

3. Can I use a calculator or computer program to integrate a function?

Yes, there are many calculators and computer programs that can perform integrations. However, it is important to understand the process and steps involved in integration, rather than relying solely on technology.

4. What is the purpose of integration in mathematics?

Integration is used to find the area under a curve, which has many real-world applications such as calculating volumes, work, and displacement.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for integrating functions?

There are some common integration rules and techniques that can make the process easier, but there is no one-size-fits-all shortcut for integration. Practice and familiarity with different methods can help make integration more efficient.