1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to integrate velocity squared to solve action integral?

1. Feb 1, 2013 #1
    Consider a forcefree mass point in one-dimensional space.
    (a) Calculate the action S for the actual path of the mass point in the time interval
    [0, T] and for the boundary conditions x(0) = 0 and x(T) = d.

I said the Lagrangian was just equal to L=1/2mv^2. I'm not sure if my reasoning for this is correct (I may have a conceptual error) but since there is no force acting on it, the potential is 0 (or a constant but it can be set to 0?)

so the action integral is S=∫1/2mv^2dt where the limits are 0-T

I'm not sure how to integrate v^2 with respect to t. Even if my approach is wrong, I would still like to know how that integral is done

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2013 #2
    oops, velocity would be constant...so that solves that. However, if it wasn't constant, how would I go about solving that integral?

4. Feb 1, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You cannot solve it without some information about how velocity varies with time.

5. Feb 1, 2013 #4
    You need to either know v(t) or v(x). If you know the second then you can use the fact that v2dt=vdx.

6. Feb 6, 2013 #5
    ahh, ok. Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook