How to learn differential geometry?

In summary, the conversation discusses the best books to use for self-studying differential geometry, with suggestions including John Lee's Introduction to smooth manifolds and De Carmo's books. It is recommended to start with classical differential geometry before moving on to modern formulations and Singer and Thorpe's book is a good resource for this. Other recommended books include Elementary Differential Geometry by Pressley and a book by Millman. It is mentioned that Lee's book may require a good understanding of smooth and topological manifolds, while Do Carmo's book focuses more on proofs rather than computations. For those interested in general relativity, books by Wald and Carroll are suggested. However, it is important to have a good understanding of the necessary prerequisites
SMHPhysics
Hello everyone!

I just wanted to ask a question about how I should study for differential geometry. Now, as I have it, I've got a few suggestions for books, of which two stand out prominently:

1. John Lee's Introduction to smooth manifolds

2. De Carmo

Which one would be best for self study, bearing in mind that I'm at high school, although I do have familiarity with real analysis to the level of 'Calculus' by Spivak, linear algebra to the level of Georgi Shilov, and multivariable calculus as well, but little familiarity with sets and groups. So I suppose I am somewhat familiar with writing out proofs. By the way, I expect that both are mathematically rigorous, but also I want to see differential geometry in general relativity as well. If you have any other recommendations for books, by all means let me know.

Thank you!ALSO: PLEASE DO NOT HIJACK THIS THREAD!

Physics news on Phys.org
I personally believe that it is wise to start with classical differential geometry. This because the examples are easy to visualize and the mathematical structures are less dense. You can learn using multivariate calculus only and do not need to know the theory of differentiable manifolds as a prerequisite.

There are beginning books which link classical geometry to the modern formulations like the wonderful book by Singer and Thorpe.

Personally I would read Struiks' book first then Singer and Thorpe. Read them together.

A widely used book is Elementary Differential geometry by Pressley.

It studies the riemannian geometry of curves and surfaces, which are the 1 and 2-dimensional manifolds respectively and are used to build intuition for the general theory which you can find in Lee's book(s).

Lee's smooth manifold books is really a wonderful book. But I'm afraid that you miss the prereqs and the mathematical maturity to tackle the book.

I agree with the suggestions of lavinia and quasar, they are very good. Another book that I really like is: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0132641437/?tag=pfamazon01-20
I personally like how millman explains things.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can do Lee's book, technically, without a pre requisite knowledge of classical geometry of surfaces but he does assume you have thorough understanding of smooth and topological manifolds. Do Carmo is essentially the opposite. Ideally, it would prove good to have knowledge of both. Do Carmo's book on differential geometry of curves and surfaces would lead naturally to his book on riemannian geometry and, unlike some other diff geo of surfaces books, Do Carmo's problems contain very little computations and mostly proofs which is a huge plus. Lee's books on topological and smooth manifolds would also naturally lead to his book on curvature. Lee's book covers less topics than Do Carmo's book but Lee is an amazing teacher so you can't go wrong with his text (maybe you could get both; they are pretty cheap even if new). If you are interested in general relativity in particular and want a book that utilizes differential geometry at a level comparable to that of Do Carmo \ Lee (comparable for a physics textbook at least) then the unequivocal choice would be Wald's General Relativity; Spacetime and Geometry by Sean Carroll would be a great close - second but it is at a slightly lower level. However, like micromass said you need to have the necessary pre - requisites down otherwise it won't really be a pragmatic venture.

Last edited:

1. What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of space and curves using techniques from calculus and linear algebra. It is used to understand the geometry of objects in curved spaces, such as the surface of a sphere or the shape of the universe.

2. Why is differential geometry important?

Differential geometry is important because it has applications in many fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It allows us to describe and analyze the geometry of curved objects and spaces, which is crucial for understanding the world around us.

3. How do I learn differential geometry?

To learn differential geometry, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and multivariable calculus. From there, you can study textbooks and online resources that cover the basics of differential geometry, such as curves, surfaces, and manifolds. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and working through examples to gain a deeper understanding.

4. What are the main concepts in differential geometry?

Some of the main concepts in differential geometry include curves, surfaces, manifolds, tensors, and Riemannian geometry. These concepts are used to describe and analyze the geometry of curved spaces and objects.

5. How can I apply differential geometry in my field of study?

Differential geometry has many applications in different fields, so the specific application will depend on your field of study. For example, physicists use differential geometry to describe the curvature of space-time in general relativity, while engineers use it to design and analyze curved structures. It is important to understand the basics of differential geometry and then explore its applications in your specific field.