1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to learn higher mathematics? Where to beginn?

1. Nov 22, 2008 #1
    Hello, im 18 years old and im very interested in mathematics.

I have only knowlegde of school-matematics (school-Analysis, school-stochastics and a little bit school-linear Algebra) but thats not really interesting. Its basically memorising given methods to solve exercises instead of really understanding what is behind this methods.

So, basically my question is:

How can I learn higher Mathematics and where to beginn?

In fact I already started by learning mathematical proofs (book: 100% mathematical proof). Is it "right" to start with learning proofs? I just thought it would be good because Univerity Analysis/Algebra-books (like Widder) are very hard to understand for me with my school-knowledge.

What do you suggest?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2008 #2
    Have you covered your transcendental functions yet?
  4. Nov 22, 2008 #3
  5. Nov 23, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

get a copy of spivak's calculus and work through it.
  6. Dec 9, 2008 #5

Does anyone have a list of Theorems and Postulates and the definitions for high school level geometry? I am an Instructional Aide in Spec. Ed. and one of my students is looking for one. Or if you can tell me where I can find one online. I've already been to 'Spark Notes.'
  7. Dec 9, 2008 #6

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: List

An important feeling is that they need to be learned systematically with the normal flow of the course topics. Some modern h.s. Geometry books should have some listings. Look in the Prentiss-Hall Geometry textbook (I believe from year 2003 or 2004). The book is probably one of the best. Therein is found a listing of theorems, but I can not remember if a listing of postulates was also present.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?