1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to learn the math needed for more advanced physics course?

1. Aug 19, 2013 #1
    Hi,there,
    I'm a college student of physics from China, and I've taken most undergrad physics course. when I tried to study some graduate-level books and some journal papers, I got a problem in math .
    In graduate level books (say, Jackson's for example), There are pages of math tricks I don't understand. I've taken a math-physics course and get some idea about Partial-diff equations and Bessel functions, etc. But when the equations can't use separate method, I don't know what to do with it. And in graduate level books, there are so many math tricks like magic.
    My question is : Where did they get these math techniques? Should I get a more advanced math-physics course? or should I stick on one grad-book like Jackson's, and work more harder on it.
    My college is not very good and it's hard to find a experienced person to ask. So I wonder is there anyone here who can do these math in ease will give me some help?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2013 #2

verty

Homework Helper

Get a PDE book, you did a methods course so you should have enough general knowledge, now you just need to focus on PDE's and solving them. I got the impression from looking at Jackson before that you need to know how to solve linear PDE's before you attack it. I won't recommend a book because I expect foreign books are expensive.

Don't try harder with Jackson, that'll be like hitting your head against a wall harder. Get the PDE knowledge, then try again.

4. Aug 26, 2013 #3
    Thank you for your reply, I'll get a good PDE book and learn that first.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook