Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to maintain commercial scale CSTR temperature?

1. Aug 31, 2015 #1
    I'm currently doing a design for my final year studies and it's regarding esterification process.

My proposed reactor is CSTR, operating at a temperature of 60C and 400 kPa. Reactants are methanol and jatropha oil with sulphuric acid catalyst. For a commercial scale production of biodiesel, since this is an endothermic reaction, how do I maintain the temperature of the reactor? Using cooling jackets will not give uniform heat distribution for large reactors, so what other alternatives do I have?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2015 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Use standard heat exchanger ideas such as coolant tubes running through main reaction vessel or circulating reaction solution through an external heat exchanger .

Some active circulation of reaction solution may be useful in any case .

4. Sep 4, 2015 #3
    You can assure uniformity with a large top-entering agitator, probably with multiple pitched-blade turbines and proper tank baffling.

Why a cooling jacket for an endothermic reaction?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook