1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to maintain the same stationary wave pattern?

1. Jul 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2015-7-8_1-24-40.png

2. Relevant equations
    not sure

3. The attempt at a solution
    The answer is C, though I answered B. I don't understand why C is the answer.I thought that to maintain the same stationary wave pattern, I must maintain the speed of the stationary wave, and one way to do this is by reducing the wavelength of the wave. Instead, the answer suggests that we increase the speed of wave instead. Is it done to match the increase in frequency? But even so, why is B wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In order to have a standing wave, the string length needs to be a half-integer multiple of the wavelength. You therefore cannot change the wavelength. How would you acheive this when the frequency changes? (Hint: How does frequency relate to wave speed?)

4. Jul 8, 2015 #3
    Ah, I forgot the fact that the wavelength of a stationary wave cannot be simply changed. Anyway, how do you increase the speed of wave on the string?

5. Jul 8, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you seen the derivation of the wave equation for a string? If not you should look it up, it will tell you the wave velocity in terms of the density and string tension. Changing either will change the wave velocity.

6. Jul 8, 2015 #5
    Ok, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted