How to make a tin chloride solution

• Chemical/Paint
  • Thread starter lovicodo
  • Start date
In summary, to synthesize tin chloride solution, you will need:- tin- hydrochloric acid- 35% solution- a lab or safety gear- a knowledge of chemistry
lovicodo
hello, i would like to make a tin chloride solution without having to buy the tin chloride crystal powder.
i know that tin and hcl are enough, but i would like to know how they can mixed ,and in which proportion, to get a specific concentration.

i found an example where are used:
12gr pure tin
50cl hydrochloric acid 35% solution
the author claims that in this way the final concentration will be 2M
someone can explain me why the final concentration will be 2M with this proportion of tin and hcl?
thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
lovicodo said:
hello, i would like to make a tin chloride solution without having to buy the tin chloride crystal powder.
i know that tin and hcl are enough, but i would like to know how they can mixed ,and in which proportion, to get a specific concentration.

12gr pure tin
someone can explain me why the final concentration will be 2M with this proportion of tin and hcl?
thank you!
What is your background in handling chemicals? Have you read the MSDS for tin chloride and the components you want to use to synthesize it? What kind of a lab will you be using, and what PPE will you be using?

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/sial/452335?lang=en&region=US

MSDS: https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/MSDS/M...drich.com/catalog/product/sial/452335?lang=en

upload_2018-10-26_9-45-38.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-26_9-45-38.png
    upload_2018-10-26_9-45-38.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 842
i need this solution to try to do silvering of a plastic surface for my hobby project
the tin solution in this case will be used as 'sensitizer', i.e. it willbe used to prepare the surface to be silvered...
i have only a scholastic background, not a professional/expert background
thank you for the link and the safety sheet

lovicodo said:

12gr pure tin
thank you!
Well, tin has a molecular mass of 119 g/mol. So 12 g are about 1/10th of a mole. Dissolved in 0.5 l of acid makes a solution with about 0.2 M (=mol/L) and not 2 M. So you should dissolve the tin in 50 ml (or even a bit less) to get a 2M solution.
The solution will be rather harmless unless you drink it completely. Nevertheless you should use safety googles especially when handling the acid.

Thank you very much for the answer
yes, you are right, i did a mistake, i wrote 50cl, but it was 50ml.
About my project:
2M solution is very concentrated, this is needed only to melt tin.
To sensitize the plastic i need lower concentrations:
- an author suggests to make a 0.003M solution and keep the plastic immersed in the solution for about 30 minutes
- an other author suggests to make a 6% solution and keep the plastic immersed for no more than 30 seconds
so i need to take only a small portion of the 2M solution and add the right quantity of water :
for example, in the first case (0.003M), i could pick 1ml of 2M , and add (2/0.003 - 1) ml = 665 ml water, i am right?
but in the second case? 6% thin chloride solution what does mean?

it is 6% in weight?
how can i get a 6% tin chloride solution starting from a 2M solution?
thanks

What is the molar mass of SnCl2?

189,6 g/mol
so i have about 380g SnCl2 in 1L of the 2M solution...

lovicodo said:
189,6 g/mol
so i have about 380g SnCl2 in 1L of the 2M solution...
Very good. So if you want 6 % by mass?

this is the question :)
perhaps to know the concentration in percent i need to know the mass of 1L of the 2M solution...
i can guess...380g is 6% of (380/0.06)g = 6333g so i have to add 6333 - 380 = 5953g water, that is about 6L water.
So total volume is 6Lwater+380g tin chloride..i don't know the exact result , in volume, of this sum...
Very roughly, assuming volume is about the same (6L), i guess that i have to add about 5L water to 1L 2M solution to get a 6% tin chloride solution...
that is, add 5 parts of water for each part of 2M solution...

is it right?
but if i would like to know the exact proportions, how could i calculate them?

thanks!

Last edited:
I just saw that SnCl2 solution is commercialized as weight per volume
http://www.labchem.com/tools/msds/msds/LC25180.pdf
If you assume that these 6% are weight by volume, you don't need to know the density of the final solution.
For your purposes (pre treatment of surfaces to be coated by silver) the exact concentration will be irrelevant, anyhow.

thank you,
i think so too

1. How do I make a tin chloride solution?

To make a tin chloride solution, you will need to dissolve tin chloride (SnCl2) in water. The concentration of the solution will depend on the amount of tin chloride and water used. Please refer to the instructions on the tin chloride package for specific measurements.

2. What is the purpose of a tin chloride solution?

A tin chloride solution is commonly used in chemistry experiments and industrial processes. It is a strong reducing agent and is often used as a catalyst in chemical reactions. It can also be used as a mordant in textile dyeing and as a corrosion inhibitor in metal plating.

3. Can I make a tin chloride solution at home?

Yes, a tin chloride solution can be made at home using pure tin chloride and distilled water. However, it is important to handle tin chloride with caution as it is a toxic and corrosive chemical. Make sure to follow safety precautions and dispose of the solution properly after use.

4. How long does a tin chloride solution last?

The shelf life of a tin chloride solution will depend on factors such as the concentration, storage conditions, and exposure to air. Generally, a properly stored solution can last for several months. It is recommended to label the solution with the date it was made and discard it if it appears discolored or has a strong odor.

5. How do I dispose of a tin chloride solution?

Tin chloride is a hazardous chemical and should be disposed of properly. Contact your local waste management facility for guidelines on how to dispose of tin chloride solution. Do not pour it down the drain or throw it in the trash as it can harm the environment and human health.