How to make given numbers grassmann

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in defining complex and Grassmann numbers, leading to various interpretations and definitions. The speaker then proposes a definition for Grassmann multiplication on the real numbers, which involves adding an extra dimension. However, this approach may not work for complex numbers due to the lack of a natural ordering. The conversation also touches on the concept of Graßmann algebra, which is defined as a quotient of the tensor algebra over a vector space. It is mentioned that there are no finite algebraic field extensions of the complex numbers, with the Hamiltonians and Cayley's octonians being examples of higher dimensional division algebras. The real numbers with cross product as multiplication is also mentioned as a three dimensional real Lie algebra.
jostpuur
At high school age I had trouble with complex numbers, because there was no rigor definition given to them, but instead only the property [itex]i^2=-1[/itex], and then we were supposed to calculate with it. This lead to somewhat mystical interpretations of imaginary unit sometimes, until I figured out the definition of complex numbers as [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] with given multiplication rule.

Now I'm having precisely the same problem with Grassmann numbers. I have often encountered "definitions" where the property [itex]xy=-yx[/itex] is given, but nothing more precise about what the numbers actually are. I see it is easy to define an algebra where there is a finite amount of Grassmann variables, but I'm not sure this is satisfactory always. In physics it seems to be, that for example entire complex field [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex] can be merely promoted to become Grassmann algebra.

Here's my attempt to make Grassmann multiplication onto [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]:

We first identify [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] with [itex]\mathbb{R}\times\{0\}\subset\mathbb{R}^2[/itex], and then define a multiplication [itex]*:\mathbb{R}^2\times\mathbb{R}^2\to\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] as follows.

For all [itex]x\in\mathbb{R}[/itex], [itex](x,0)*(x,0)=(0,0)[/itex].

If [itex]0<x<x'[/itex], then [itex](x,0)*(x',0)=(0,xx')[/itex] and [itex](x',0)*(x,0)=(0,-xx')[/itex].

If [itex]x<0[/itex] and [itex]0<x'[/itex], then [itex](x,0)*(x',0)=-(|x|,0)*(x',0)[/itex].

If [itex]x,x'<0[/itex], then [itex](x,0)*(x',0)=(|x|,0)*(|x'|,0)[/itex].

For all [itex](x,y),(x',y')\in\mathbb{R}^2[/itex], [itex](x,y)*(x',y')=(x,0)*(x',0)[/itex].

I think if one wants an anti-commuting multiplication on [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex], it is necessary to add one dimension like this. You cannot have all products inside the original space. Now this [itex]*[/itex] should be a proper multiplication, with the desired anti-commuting property. Or does there seem to be problems with this definition?

Is there other definitions that would be equivalent with this? Or is there other definitions, which are not equivalent with this?

One thing that disturbs me is that I'm not sure how to do the same thing with [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex], because there is not natural order relation [itex]<[/itex], so precisely the same definition wouldn't work.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no such thing as Graßmann numbers. There is only the Graßmann algebra over a vector space ##V## defined as
$$
\bigwedge (V) = T(V) / \langle v\otimes w -w \otimes v \rangle
$$
where ##T(V)## is the tensor algebra over ##V## and ##\langle \;X\;\rangle## the ideal generated by ##X##.

The other question: There is no algebraic field extension of ##\mathbb{C}##, and especially no finite one. The Hamiltonians ##\mathbb{H}## are a four dimensional skew field (division algebra) over ##\mathbb{R}##, over ##\mathbb{C}## we have ##\mathbb{H} \otimes_\mathbb{R} \mathbb{C} \cong \mathbb{M}_2(\mathbb{C})##. Cayley's octonians ##\mathbb{O} \cong \mathbb{H}^2## are an eight dimensional division algebra over ##\mathbb{R}##. However, as we have lost multiplicative commutativity when passing from complex numbers to Hamilton's numbers, we now lose multiplicative associativity, too. All other extensions over the complex numbers are either transcendental or have zero divisors.

The real numbers with the cross product as multiplication is a three dimensional real Lie algebra.

1. What is the concept of Grassmann numbers?

Grassmann numbers are a mathematical concept used in the theory of Grassmann algebras. They are a type of extension of the real numbers, allowing for the representation of anti-commuting quantities and the formulation of non-commutative algebraic structures.

2. How are Grassmann numbers defined?

Grassmann numbers are defined as elements of a Grassmann algebra, which is a vector space generated by a set of basis elements called generators. These generators satisfy a set of rules, including anti-commutativity, closure, and associativity, which govern the algebraic operations on Grassmann numbers.

3. How do you perform arithmetic operations with Grassmann numbers?

Arithmetic operations with Grassmann numbers are performed using the rules of the specific Grassmann algebra they belong to. Addition and subtraction are performed by simply adding or subtracting the corresponding coefficients of the generators. Multiplication is done using the distributive property and applying the anti-commutative rule to rearrange the terms.

4. Can Grassmann numbers be used to represent physical quantities?

Yes, Grassmann numbers have been used in theoretical physics to represent physical quantities that possess anti-commutativity, such as spin. They are also used in quantum mechanics and quantum field theory to describe fermions, which are particles with half-integer spin.

5. How can Grassmann numbers be applied in real-world problems?

Grassmann numbers have applications in various fields, including physics, mathematics, computer science, and engineering. They are used to solve problems in quantum mechanics, differential geometry, and computer graphics. Grassmann numbers also have potential applications in robotics, control theory, and signal processing.