How to make water samples that exhibit cabelling when mixed?

In summary, to make water samples that exhibit cabbeling when mixed, you will need to prepare two samples of water with different temperatures and salinity, following the temperature-salinity diagram for cabbeling. These two samples can then be mixed with a third sample of water with a composition between the two initial samples, and the resulting mixture should exhibit cabbeling. It may require some setup for observation, but all the necessary information can be found in the temperature-salinity diagram. If using brine, salinity/temperature/density tables for brine may be needed to ensure the same effect.
seamonster
How to make water samples that exhibit cabbeling when mixed?

I would like to do some experiments with water flow. I want the water used in the experiment to have a property called cabbeling, common in seawater. Basically, cabbeling occurs when you mix two parcels of water with the same density but different temperature and salinity, and the mixture has a higher density than the two initial parcels of water.

Any ideas on how to make two parcels of water that when mixed will exhibit cabbeling?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Cabbeling, not cabelling.

There is a temperature-salinity diagram in wikipedia entry for cabbeling. Follow the diagram to find correct combination of parameters, red arrows show the general idea.

Thanks for your reply, Borek. I've corrected the spelling.

The diagram that you refer to is just the definition of cabbeling. It does not tell me how to prepare two samples of water that will exhibit cabbeling when mixed. Is it as easy as mixing salt into water? I suspect not. Seawater has a mix of many different things in it.

Also, the water samples don't have to be prepared with salinity compositions. I just need to replicate

Definition is enough - prepare two samples of temperatures and salinity given by points A and B - add them to water with composition given by any other point on the curve between these points, and it should work. It may need some fancy setup to make mixing and observation visible, but all information is there.

To check whether it will work with just a brine you will need salinity/temperature/density tables for brine. But I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work.

To create water samples that exhibit cabbeling when mixed, you will need to carefully control the temperature and salinity of the water. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to do this:

1. Start with two containers of water, one with a higher temperature and one with a lower temperature. The difference in temperature between the two containers should be at least 5-10 degrees Celsius.

2. Measure the salinity of both containers using a salinity meter or a hydrometer. Make sure the salinity of the two containers is different, with a difference of at least 1-2 parts per thousand.

3. Add a small amount of dye to each container to make it easier to track the mixing process.

4. Using a pipette or a syringe, carefully mix the two containers of water together. Make sure to mix them slowly and evenly to avoid creating any turbulence.

5. Observe the mixture and you should see that the density of the mixture is higher than the two initial parcels of water. This is the cabbeling effect.

It is important to note that the temperature and salinity difference between the two containers should be carefully controlled to achieve the desired cabbeling effect. You can also experiment with different temperature and salinity differences to see how it affects the density of the mixture.

Additionally, you can also try using different types of water, such as seawater or freshwater, to see if there are any differences in the cabbeling effect.

I hope this helps you with your experiments on water flow and cabbeling. Happy experimenting!

1. How do you create water samples that exhibit cabelling when mixed?

To create water samples that exhibit cabelling when mixed, you will need two different types of water with different densities. This can be achieved by adding salt to one of the water samples to increase its density. Once you have the two water samples with different densities, carefully pour the denser water on top of the less dense water in a clear container. This will create a visible boundary between the two water samples, known as cabelling.

2. Why do water samples exhibit cabelling when mixed?

Water samples exhibit cabelling when mixed because of the difference in density between the two types of water. The denser water sinks to the bottom due to gravity, while the less dense water stays on top. When mixed together, the boundary between the two water samples is visible due to the difference in density.

3. Can any type of water be used to create cabelling?

No, any type of water cannot be used to create cabelling. The water samples must have a significant difference in density in order to create a visible boundary when mixed. Distilled water and saltwater are commonly used for this experiment, as they have very different densities.

4. How can I make the cabelling effect last longer?

To make the cabelling effect last longer, you can add a few drops of food coloring to one of the water samples. This will make the boundary between the two water samples more visible and the effect can last for a longer period of time. You can also try adding more salt to the water to increase the density difference.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the cabelling effect?

Yes, the temperature of the water can also affect the cabelling effect. Warmer water has a lower density than colder water, so if you use warm and cold water for your experiment, the results may be different than using two waters with the same temperature. Additionally, the shape of the container and the speed at which the water samples are poured can also affect the cabelling effect.