Could water chemistry be altered to make swimmers faster?

In summary: It's possible that the added salt would also make the water more viscous, which would reduce the available power for the swimmer.
aerohead_18
At swim practice last week I started thinking about how the composition of the water was affecting how fast my teammates and I were able to swim. The mechanical properties of the water--viscosity, density, surface tension, etc.-- are what determine how much force swimmers are able to generate by pushing on it and how much drag they experience moving through it. And different substances, like surfactants in the case of surface tension, are able to alter those properties. So if it's possible to change water's mechanical properties by adding different substances to it, might it also be possible to develop an "ideal water" that would make swimmers faster?

My initial guess is probably not, since any reduction in drag would result in a corresponding reduction in the force a swimmer would be able to generate by moving the fluid, and vise versa. (Am I correct in assuming that?) But then again, maybe there is some "perfect" set of properties that would strike an ideal balance between reducing drag and maximizing power?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What would be the point? For fair competitions, all swimmers would have to be using the same modified water so why not just have them all use regular water?

Likes epenguin
Just a hypothetical question about the "how's," not so much the "why's."

Also, define "regular water." All pools have various chemicals for bacteria control, so it's not pure water by any means. And in other sports, namely track, this variable isn't even considered. Some tracks are much faster than others, and a few that are so fast that athletes, especially sprinters, are virtually guaranteed a PR. To make it truly fair there would have to be national rules governing the chemistry of the water in swimming or the track surface in running, but these don't exist to my knowledge.

aerohead_18 said:
Just a hypothetical question about the "how's," not so much the "why's."
Fair enough.

If you increase the density of the water (by for example adding a lot of salt) that the swimmer would displace less water, ride higher in the water, and presumably, as a result have less drag.
I'm not sure if it would affect viscosity which could affect the drag, but also the swimmer's propulsive force.

aerohead_18 said:
Some tracks are much faster than others, and a few that are so fast that athletes, especially sprinters, are virtually guaranteed a PR. To make it truly fair there would have to be national rules governing the chemistry of the water in swimming or the track surface in running, but these don't exist to my knowledge.
In gymnastics, floor exercises are often (maybe always?) done on a surface of mats, but with a springy underneath, which gives them more bounce for flips etc.

BillTre said:
the swimmer would displace less water, ride higher in the water, and presumably, as a result have less drag.

In some styles rules say that you can't swim under water for longer than few strokes - from what I remember that's because swimming under water is generally faster.

aerohead_18 said:
how the composition of the water was affecting how fast my teammates and I were able to swim

Reducing drag was researched by military, take for example a look here: http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA397790

Borek said:
In some styles rules say that you can't swim under water for longer than few strokes - from what I remember that's because swimming under water is generally faster.

Oh yeah.
They mentioned this a lot in the recent Olympics broadcasts.
I also recall resistance is lower for submarines (completely underwater). Something about the surface of the water affecting drag.
So this might negate my comment.

BillTre said:
If you increase the density of the water (by for example adding a lot of salt) that the swimmer would displace less water, ride higher in the water, and presumably, as a result have less drag.

I'm pretty confident that increasing density would make swimmers slower.
IMG_4904.JPG

1. Can changing the water temperature affect a swimmer's speed?

Yes, altering the water temperature can have an impact on a swimmer's speed. Warmer water can make a swimmer feel more comfortable and relaxed, allowing them to swim faster. However, excessively warm water can also decrease a swimmer's endurance and stamina.

2. Does adding chemicals to the water make swimmers faster?

Additions of chemicals to the water, such as chlorine, do not directly make swimmers faster. However, these chemicals are necessary for maintaining a safe and clean swimming environment, which can indirectly affect a swimmer's performance.

3. Is it possible to change the water's pH level to increase a swimmer's speed?

The water's pH level can have an impact on a swimmer's performance, but it is not recommended to alter it drastically. The ideal pH level for swimming pools is between 7.2 to 7.8, and any significant changes outside of this range can cause discomfort and irritation for swimmers.

4. Can adjusting the water's salinity improve a swimmer's speed?

Similar to pH level, adjusting the water's salinity can also have an effect on a swimmer's performance. However, this is not a recommended method as it can cause discomfort and even pose health risks for swimmers.

5. How does water turbulence impact a swimmer's speed?

Water turbulence, caused by factors such as waves or currents, can affect a swimmer's speed. In some cases, swimmers can use this turbulence to their advantage, using it to glide or push off faster. However, excessive turbulence can also make it more challenging for swimmers to maintain their speed and control.