How to manipulate this expression?

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
In summary, to simplify an expression, you need to combine like terms and follow the order of operations. To factor an expression, look for common factors and rewrite the expression with those factors factored out. To expand an expression, use the distributive property to multiply each term inside the parentheses. To solve for a specific variable, isolate the variable and use inverse operations. To check your answer, plug it into the original equation or use a calculator to simplify both expressions and compare them.
Saladsamurai
After solving a DE by Laplace I was left with

[tex]\frac{1}{s^3}[/tex]

Now I have a formula for [tex] \frac{n!}{s^{n+1}}[/tex]

which could be [tex]\frac{2}{s^{2+1}}[/tex]

Now if I just multiply the [tex]\frac{2}{s^{2+1}}[/tex]

by a factor of 1/2, is that the same same as my original?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.
And I think someone once said that there are no stupid questions.
Cheers.

Ssssssweeeeeetttt!

Thanks!

1. How do I simplify this expression?

To simplify an expression, you need to combine like terms and use the order of operations to solve it. Start by combining any numbers or variables that are alike, then solve the remaining operations according to the order of operations (PEMDAS).

2. How do I factor this expression?

To factor an expression, you need to find the common factors of all the terms. Look for numbers or variables that can be divided out of each term, and then rewrite the expression with those common factors factored out.

3. How do I expand this expression?

To expand an expression, you need to distribute any numbers or variables that are being multiplied by parentheses. Use the distributive property to multiply each term inside the parentheses by the number or variable outside of the parentheses.

4. How do I solve for a specific variable in this expression?

To solve for a specific variable, you need to isolate that variable on one side of the equation. Use inverse operations to undo any operations that are being done to the variable, and then simplify the remaining expression to find the value of the variable.

5. How do I check my answer for this expression?

To check your answer for an expression, you can plug your solution back into the original equation and see if it makes the equation true. If it does, then your solution is correct. You can also use a calculator to simplify both the original expression and your solution and see if they are equal.