Magnetic flux and how to manipulate it discussion anyone?

In summary, the conversation is about manipulating the magnetic flux of a coil and the OP needs help with the math and calculations for their project. They are trying to increase the magnetic flux through the coil and manipulate the field in two ways: projecting it a greater distance and filling the entire area with the field. They believe they can do this by increasing the number of turns in the coil, increasing the charge or current, or changing the shape of the coil. They are also looking into using ferrous metal shapes or Helmholtz coils to guide the flux. They are unsure if the Helmholtz coil will work for their application and are unable to do the necessary math themselves. They are also considering using a probe to measure the strength of
NMNXX
Good day all, I am looking to discuss how to manipulate the magnetic flux of a coil. I unfortunately lack the math skills to calculate what I actually need to build for my project. I have been coop up in my garage trying to physically solve the problem but I am running out of time and money for materials and I know that the answer is in the math. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
NMNXX said:
I am looking to discuss how to manipulate the magnetic flux of a coil.
What manipulations do you want to do?
What is your project?

The OP is indeed very vaguely worded, but I'll throw this Wiki article out there nonetheless:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_circuit

These "circuits" (in analogy to electric circuits) are all about the manipulation of the magnetic flux.

cnh1995 said:
What manipulations do you want to do?
What is your project?
Thank you for the interest.Project: I am currently trying to produce more magnetic flux through a coil. I have a round 3 foot diameter coil that I am trying to fill the entire inner area of the coil with a magnetic field and also project field a distance of 12 inches from the coil. Manipulation: I would like to manipulate the field in two ways. 1. Project the field a greater distance from the coil. 2. Fill entire area with field. Please correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is that I can do 3 things to increase or manipulate the magnetic flux. 1. increase number of turns in coil. 2. increase charge or current. 3. Increase or change shape of coil. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you

rumborak said:
The OP is indeed very vaguely worded, but I'll throw this Wiki article out there nonetheless:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_circuit

These "circuits" (in analogy to electric circuits) are all about the manipulation of the magnetic flux.
Thank you for the article. I apologize for the vagueness.

NMNXX said:
Thank you for the interest.Project: I am currently trying to produce more magnetic flux through a coil. I have a round 3 foot diameter coil that I am trying to fill the entire inner area of the coil with a magnetic field and also project field a distance of 12 inches from the coil. Manipulation: I would like to manipulate the field in two ways. 1. Project the field a greater distance from the coil. 2. Fill entire area with field. Please correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is that I can do 3 things to increase or manipulate the magnetic flux. 1. increase number of turns in coil. 2. increase charge or current. 3. Increase or change shape of coil. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you
You can also use ferrous metal shapes to guide the flux.

Have you read about Helmholtz coils? That is a way to help you make the flux more uniform in the volume between the two coils...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_coil

This is very confusing, due to the terminology being used (or misused).

Are you making a solenoid? And are you asking how to increase the magnetic field produced by this solenoid?

Zz.

berkeman said:
You can also use ferrous metal shapes to guide the flux.

Have you read about Helmholtz coils? That is a way to help you make the flux more uniform in the volume between the two coils...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_coil
Thank you for the reply, I have been looking at the Helmoltz coil but have not done decided if it will work for my application. I am afraid I will not be able to reach the distance I need between the two coils. Thanks again

NMNXX said:
Thank you for the interest.Project: I am currently trying to produce more magnetic flux through a coil. I have a round 3 foot diameter coil that I am trying to fill the entire inner area of the coil with a magnetic field and also project field a distance of 12 inches from the coil. Manipulation: I would like to manipulate the field in two ways. 1. Project the field a greater distance from the coil. 2. Fill entire area with field. Please correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is that I can do 3 things to increase or manipulate the magnetic flux. 1. increase number of turns in coil. 2. increase charge or current. 3. Increase or change shape of coil. Any help or advice would be appreciated. I believe this may be the formula I need to use to get the answer I am looking for ( How many turns at what voltage/current do I need for a 3 foot diameter coil to get the distance and coverage of the field I want. Unfortunately I can not do this math. Formula at 5:27

NMNXX said:
Thank you for the reply, I have been looking at the Helmoltz coil but have not done decided if it will work for my application. I am afraid I will not be able to reach the distance I need between the two coils. Thanks again
Are you working with DC magnetic fields or 60Hz AC magnetic fields? If AC, you can buy inexpensive probes that plug into your DVM to let you know what your field strength is throught the coil and surrounding area. Here is one that I've used in the past:

http://custommagneticshielding.magn...egories/evaluation-kits-meters-probes/ep-101a
EP-101A.jpg

Likes NMNXX

1. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measurement of the total magnetic field passing through a specific area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of webers (Wb).

2. How is magnetic flux calculated?

Magnetic flux is calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic field (B) by the area of the surface where the field is passing through (A). This can be represented by the equation Φ = B x A.

3. How can magnetic flux be manipulated?

Magnetic flux can be manipulated by changing either the strength of the magnetic field or the area it is passing through. This can be done using magnets, electric currents, or by altering the shape or size of the surface.

4. What is the significance of manipulating magnetic flux?

Manipulating magnetic flux allows us to control the amount of magnetic energy present in a system. This has many practical applications, such as in motors, generators, and transformers.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with manipulating magnetic flux?

Yes, there can be risks associated with manipulating magnetic flux, as it involves strong magnetic fields. These risks can include interference with electronic devices, heating of conductive materials, and potential harm to living organisms. It is important to handle and manipulate magnetic flux carefully and with proper safety precautions.