How to measure maximum current in diode config?

In summary: AC voltage source would swing positive and negative twice each period. Then, what would be the error in your peak current derivation?
DefaultName

Homework Statement

Find the peak current in the circuit config:

V1 = 15v amplitude, 1khz freq.
R = 1.5k
Vd = 0.7v

Draw the transfer characteristic.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9761/picture2ge7.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Transfer Characteristic
--------------------------

I only understand the transfer characteristic if the diode is flipped. When the diode is flipped, The source has to supply more than 0.7V to turn the diode on, then after there will be a constant voltage drop of .7v across the diode as you keep increasing the voltage.

However, in my case, I'm guessing that the voltage Vs would only turn the diode on when it is decreasing, so the cathode part of the diode is not greater than Vo?Peak Current
---------------
KVL: -V1 - Vdiode + Vr = 0
Vr / R = (V1 + Vdiode) / R = Ir

so peak current = Ir = (V1 + Vdiode) / R

Is my derivation correct? Thankss!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The voltage source shown is a sine wave AC source, so its output at it's "+" terminal is a 15Vpp or 30Vpp (depending on what the problem statement actually means by 15V amplitude) sine wave about ground, when the "-" terminal is grounded. So it doesn't matter which way the diode is pointing, the AC waveform ensures that it will turn on for half of each AC cycle.

So first you need to clarify what is meant by "V1 = 15V amplitude". Does that mean that v(t) = V1 sin(wt), in which case the total amplitude is 30Vpp, or does it mean that the total amplitude is 15Vpp, in which case v(t) = 7.5V sin(wt)?

Then, you should draw what the sine wave output at the + terminal would look like if the diode were not there, and then think about what part of the waveform gets chopped off when the diode is connected.

Does that help?

It's peak amplitude is 15V, so the Vpp would be 30V.

For my waveform of Vout (or Vr, w/e you want to call it), I have the diode cutting out the positive wave cycles from the AC source, leaving only the negative sinusoids. My sinusoids are in quad IV. This is for the graph of Vo. Thanks for the clarification, but I think my question is asking the rectifier transfer characteristic. I think they mean Vout (y axis) vs V1 (x axis).

If you have the diode in the reversed direction for example, the graph of Vout vs V1 would equal 0 up until the turn on voltage Vf, then slowly increasing with a slope of R / (R+rd) if you're using the battery plus resistance model. I can visualize that without a problem, it's just now with this diode reversed, I'm totally confused with Vout vs V1.

Can anyone confirm the peak current derivation I have in the first post:

Peak Current
---------------
KVL: -V1 - Vdiode + Vr = 0
Vr / R = (V1 + Vdiode) / R = Ir

so peak current = Ir = (V1 + Vdiode) / R

I'm not tracking what you are saying (sorry), but try picturing it this way. Start the AC voltage source out at zero, and let it go through the positive half-cycle. You are correct that the diode is an open circuit for this half-cycle, so the Vout is zero (pulled to ground by the resistor). Then, as the AC voltage source swings negative, as it swings down through -0.7V, it snaps on the diode. The output voltage then follows the AC voltage source's waveform, but it stays 0.7V behind, right? It does this through the full negative sine waveform, and then the whole process repeats through the next positive cycle (well, almost -- see the Quiz Question below). So if all of that is true, then what is the small error in your equations in the previous post?

Quiz Question -- If you draw the first few cycles of the Vout waveform, what is different between the first positive cycle that I described, versus the second and subsequent positive cycles?

EDIT -- for the Quiz Question, assume that there is some parasitic capacitance in parallel with the resistor, so that the RC time constant is about half of the period of the AC voltage source...

1. What equipment do I need to measure maximum current in diode configuration?

To measure maximum current in diode configuration, you will need a power supply, a multimeter, and a diode. The power supply will provide the voltage to the diode, and the multimeter will measure the current flowing through the diode.

2. How do I set up the diode for current measurement?

The diode should be connected in series with the multimeter. The positive terminal of the power supply should be connected to the anode of the diode, and the negative terminal of the power supply should be connected to the cathode of the diode. The multimeter should be set to measure current in the appropriate range.

3. What is the maximum current rating for a diode?

The maximum current rating for a diode varies depending on the type and size of the diode. It is important to consult the datasheet for the specific diode being used. Generally, small signal diodes have a maximum current rating of around 100mA, while power diodes can handle currents up to several amps.

4. How do I measure the maximum current in a diode?

To measure the maximum current in a diode, gradually increase the voltage from the power supply while monitoring the current reading on the multimeter. The maximum current will be reached when the current starts to decrease or the diode fails. It is important to not exceed the maximum current rating of the diode.

5. Why is it important to measure the maximum current in a diode?

Measuring the maximum current in a diode is important to ensure that the diode is operating within its safe operating limits. Exceeding the maximum current rating can lead to overheating and failure of the diode. It is also important for circuit design to know the maximum current that a diode can handle to prevent damage to the diode and other components.