Piecewise Linear Modeling (diode)

In summary, the diode is expected to have a turn-on voltage of 0.7V and a current-limit of 0.3mA when the input voltage is 1V.
hogrampage

Homework Statement

A pn junction diode is connected to a Thevenin circuit consisting of a 0-to-1V, 1kHz square wave and 1kΩ resistor. Use piecewise linear modeling to estimate the diode voltage for the low (0V), and high (1V) states of the voltage source. Assume the diode to have an approximate turn-on voltage of 0.7V for small currents.

Homework Equations

rd = [itex]\frac{nV_{T}}{I_{D}}[/itex]
iD = [itex]\frac{V_{th}-V_{f}}{R_{th}+r_{d}}[/itex]
VD = Vf + iDrd

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking of just picking ID = 1mA, n = 1, and VT = 25mV so that:

rd = 40Ω

I don't know if I'm going about this right, or even where to go next.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the 1V case...

Are you familiar with the graphical method of finding the operating point? Plot a graph with two "curves" on it:

First one for the voltage source/resistor: Plot open circuit voltage, short circuit current and join with straight line.

Another for the diode, in particular the equation VD = iDrd + Vf is of the form y = mx + c ... a straight line.

Where they cross is your answer.

hogrampage said:

Homework Statement

A pn junction diode is connected to a Thevenin circuit consisting of a 0-to-1V, 1kHz square wave and 1kΩ resistor. Use piecewise linear modeling to estimate the diode voltage for the low (0V), and high (1V) states of the voltage source. Assume the diode to have an approximate turn-on voltage of 0.7V for small currents.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking of just picking ID = 1mA, n = 1, and VT = 25mV so that:

rd = 40Ω

I don't know if I'm going about this right, or even where to go next.

Picking iD = 1 mA is definitely not a good idea.

You know VD will be close to 0.7V. So what is a logical choice for iD if the input to the 1K resistor is 1V?

With that info, I found iD to be 0.3mA. Then, rd is ~83Ω with n=1 and VT=25mV. So, when the voltage source is 1V:

VD=0.7+(0.0003)(83)=725mV

Assuming the piecewise-linear approximation they have in mind is a straight line along the V axis (iD=0) up to V = 0.7V and then a straight line of slope 1/rd up to the operating point iD ~ 0.3 mA, then that would be correct.

Alright, thanks :D.

1. What is a piecewise linear model?

A piecewise linear model is a mathematical representation of a system or process that consists of multiple linear segments. Each segment represents a different relationship between the input and output variables, and these segments are connected at specific points called breakpoints.

2. How is a diode modeled using a piecewise linear model?

A diode can be modeled using a piecewise linear model by considering its voltage-current relationship. In the forward direction, a diode behaves like a linear resistor, with a voltage drop proportional to the current. In the reverse direction, a diode has a constant voltage drop regardless of the current. These two behaviors can be represented as two linear segments in the piecewise model.

3. What are the advantages of using a piecewise linear model for a diode?

One advantage of using a piecewise linear model for a diode is that it provides a more accurate representation of the diode's behavior compared to a simple linear model. This is particularly useful when analyzing circuits that contain diodes, as their behavior is highly dependent on the voltage and current relationship. Additionally, a piecewise linear model allows for easier analysis of complex circuits with multiple diodes.

4. Are there any limitations to using a piecewise linear model for a diode?

One limitation of using a piecewise linear model for a diode is that it may not accurately represent the diode's behavior at extreme voltage and current values. This is because the model is based on a limited number of linear segments and may not be able to capture any non-linear behavior that occurs outside of those segments. Additionally, the model may not account for any temperature effects on the diode's behavior.

5. How is a piecewise linear model used in circuit analysis?

A piecewise linear model is used in circuit analysis to simplify the analysis of circuits that contain non-linear components, such as diodes. By breaking down the non-linear behavior into multiple linear segments, the circuit can be analyzed using traditional linear circuit analysis techniques. This allows engineers to design and troubleshoot circuits more easily and accurately.