Deriving the reheating equation from the first law of thermodynamics

  • Thread starter Thread starter pleasehelpmeno
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cosmology
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
pleasehelpmeno
Messages
154
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


i i am trying to derive [itex]\dot{\rho_{R}}+4H\rho_{R}-\Gamma_{\phi}\rho_{\phi}=0[/itex] as in Kolb an turner (Boltzmann describing reheating).

Is the correct approach to, use the 1st law dU=dQ-pdV, but what would dQ be?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That is just the equation of conservation of energy, with an extra term with transfers energy from the inflaton to radiation.
 
how though can it be derived?
I no that: [itex]dU=(a^{3}\rho_{R})[/itex] and [itex]1/3\rho dV= pdV[/itex], but I am not sure about dQ.

It is obviously then [itex]\rho_R d(a^3)+a^{3}d\rho_{R}=dQ - 1/3\rho_{R}d(a^3)[/itex] Then by dividing through by dt one can get [itex]\dot{\rho}_{R}+4H\rho_{R} -\frac{dQ}{dt} =0[/itex].

I don't see how one can justify [itex]\Gamma_{\phi}\rho_{\phi}=\frac{dQ}{dt}[/itex]
 
I don't see how you can justify using the first law in that form, when clearly in reheating the number of particles is not conserved. It's my understanding that the [itex]\Gamma \rho[/itex]-term is just phenomenological.