How to meet other physicists/mathematicans?

• Thread starter cuallito
  • Start date
In summary, physicists and mathematicians have a variety of interests and social activities, including attending conferences and meeting in cafes to discuss their fields of study. They can also be found at places like Walt Disney World and online forums to engage in "shop talk."
cuallito
What do physicist/mathematician types tend to do for social activities? Physics conferences? I have a physics degree myself and it would be nice to "talk shop" with others.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
cuallito said:
What do physicist/mathematician types tend to do for social activities? Physics conferences? I have a physics degree myself and it would be nice to "talk shop" with others.
Physicists tend to travel in herds, being unlike other humans.

Ok, that was sarcastic. Physicists are no different than other humans, having as many interests as other humans. If you wish to find physicists to speak to, we have them here.

Likes jedishrfu
I think they call those groups a pride of physicists... Or is that a pride of programmers and a forum of physicists...

Likes Evo
I have met a lot of physics and engineering students in cafes. Find the coffee houses where people study, and discreetly observe the books they have on their tables. Or bait them by arranging a few books of your own on your table.

There is an art to this.

Nerd Sniping
nerd_sniping.png

[Source: http://xkcd.com/356/]

Likes Mmm_Pasta and Enigman
cuallito said:

This physicist tends to go to Walt Disney World 2-3 times a year. So you can find me there to talk shop.

BTW, you found this forum, and there's quite a number of physicists on here to talk shop with.

Zz.

1. How can I find networking opportunities with other physicists and mathematicians?

There are several ways to find networking opportunities with other physicists and mathematicians. One option is to attend conferences, workshops, and seminars related to your field of study. You can also join professional organizations and attend their events. Another option is to connect with other professionals through online networking platforms, such as LinkedIn, or through social media groups and forums.

2. Are there any online communities specifically for connecting with physicists and mathematicians?

Yes, there are online communities specifically for connecting with physicists and mathematicians. Some examples include Physics Forums, MathOverflow, and ResearchGate. These platforms allow you to connect with professionals in your field, ask and answer questions, and share your research.

3. How can I build professional relationships with other physicists and mathematicians?

One way to build professional relationships with other physicists and mathematicians is to attend conferences and workshops and actively engage in discussions and networking events. You can also reach out to researchers whose work aligns with your interests and ask to meet for coffee or a virtual chat. Additionally, staying active in online communities and participating in discussions can help you connect with other professionals in your field.

4. Is it important to have a mentor in the field of physics or mathematics?

Having a mentor in the field of physics or mathematics can be very beneficial. Mentors can provide guidance, support, and valuable insights from their own experiences. They can also introduce you to their network of colleagues and help you navigate the academic and professional landscape of your field.

5. Can I meet other physicists and mathematicians outside of academia?

Yes, you can meet other physicists and mathematicians outside of academia. Many professionals in these fields work in research and development, government agencies, and private industries, such as technology and finance. Networking events, conferences, and online communities can help you connect with professionals from various backgrounds and industries.