Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to meet other physicists/mathematicans?

1. Jan 30, 2015 #1
    What do physicist/mathematician types tend to do for social activities? Physics conferences? I have a physics degree myself and it would be nice to "talk shop" with others.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2015 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Physicists tend to travel in herds, being unlike other humans.

Ok, that was sarcastic. Physicists are no different than other humans, having as many interests as other humans. If you wish to find physicists to speak to, we have them here.

4. Jan 30, 2015 #3

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I think they call those groups a pride of physicists... Or is that a pride of programmers and a forum of physicists...

5. Jan 30, 2015 #4
    I have met a lot of physics and engineering students in cafes. Find the coffee houses where people study, and discreetly observe the books they have on their tables. Or bait them by arranging a few books of your own on your table.

6. Jan 31, 2015 #5

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is an art to this.

Nerd Sniping
    nerd_sniping.png
    [Source: http://xkcd.com/356/]

7. Jan 31, 2015 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This physicist tends to go to Walt Disney World 2-3 times a year. So you can find me there to talk shop.

BTW, you found this forum, and there's quite a number of physicists on here to talk shop with.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook