What hand tools do physicists commonly use in the laboratory?

• Thread starter Mgt3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist
Mgt3
I came across an article about a particle physicist who made a custom case for his calipers, radius gauges, and screw pitch gauges. The project, available here, turned out nice. The article had me wondering, do physicists rely on calipers that much in the laboratory? I'm curious, what other hand tools do physicists commonly use?

Likes DeBangis21
Physics news on Phys.org
The tools we use become an extension of our brain.
The loss of a reliable tool can be debilitating.

Only special master tools, that are critical, but seldom used, require special storage.

I would not classify battery powered digital calipers as worthy of custom packaging, unless it made special provision for the storage of replacement long life batteries.

Baluncore said:
The tools we use become an extension of our brain.
The loss of a reliable tool can be debilitating.

Only special master tools, that are critical, but seldom used, require special storage.

I would not classify battery powered digital calipers as worthy of custom packaging, unless it made special provision for the storage of replacement long life batteries.
It's not uncommon in workshops to keep calipers in a mahogany case to prevent the tool from being damaged or losing calibration. But my question was more broad. I meant to ask what common hand tools that are usually seen in workshops are used by physicists, if any?

The chalk is mightier than the sword.

Likes Vanadium 50 and berkeman
Mgt3 said:
I came across an article about a particle physicist who made a custom case for his calipers, radius gauges, and screw pitch gauges. The project, available here, turned out nice. The article had me wondering, do physicists rely on calipers that much in the laboratory? I'm curious, what other hand tools do physicists commonly use?
Hand tools? None. That is a bygone era. Maybe a computer is the closest. Definitely not LHC, LIGO, or JWST.
I think you maybe confusing engineers and physicists.

Wait... no... pencils. Definitely pencils.

Likes Vanadium 50
Haborix said:
The chalk is mightier than the sword.
Hagoromo Fulltouch is the best!
DaveE said:
pencil
Faber Mongol 482 #2

And before you mention pens, Uni-Ball Roller Medium.

Markers? Staetdleer Lumocolor.

Likes Haborix
The tools depend on the physics.
A scientific officer, or a technician, would use hand tools in an experimental environment.

Mgt3 said:
I'm curious, what other hand tools do physicists commonly use?
What other tools? Well clearly: laser safety goggles, catcher's masks, face shields, chest protectors, etc...

1700073707810.png

Last edited:
Mgt3 said:
It's not uncommon in workshops to keep calipers in a mahogany case to prevent the tool from being damaged or losing calibration. But my question was more broad. I meant to ask what common hand tools that are usually seen in workshops are used by physicists, if any?
It obviously depends on what type of work you are doing, but most labs would have the the usual assortment of screwdrivers, spanners, pliers etc.

What are some basic hand tools that physicists use in the laboratory?

Physicists commonly use several basic hand tools in their laboratories, including screwdrivers, pliers, tweezers, and wire cutters. These tools are essential for assembling, modifying, and repairing experimental setups and apparatus.

Why do physicists use tweezers in the laboratory?

Tweezers are crucial in physics laboratories for handling small or delicate components, such as electronic parts or tiny samples, that are too small to be manipulated by hand without risking damage or contamination.

How are screwdrivers utilized in physics experiments?

Screwdrivers are used extensively in physics labs to assemble and disassemble equipment. Different types of screwdrivers, such as flathead and Phillips, are used depending on the screw types involved in the experimental setups.

What role do pliers play in a physics laboratory?

Pliers are used for gripping, bending, and cutting wires and small metal pieces. They are particularly useful in setting up experiments that involve electrical components or when precise manipulation of sturdy materials is required.

Are there specialized hand tools that physicists need for specific experiments?

Yes, depending on the nature of the experiment, physicists may need specialized hand tools like torque wrenches, Allen wrenches, or wire strippers. These tools help ensure that components are securely fastened and connections are properly made, which is critical for the accuracy and safety of experiments.