How to Modify Y(t) for Nonhomogenous 2nd Order DE with e^-t and cos(2t) Terms?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jesuslovesu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    2nd order
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
jesuslovesu
Messages
185
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Well I've got another one that totally sucks.
[tex]y'' + 2y' + 5y = 4e^{-t}cos(2t)[/tex]

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



I tried Y(t) = [tex]Ae^{-t}cos(2t) + Be^{-t}sin(2t)[/tex] but that unfortunately yielded [tex]0 = 4e^{-t} cos(2t)[/tex]

So my question is how does one modify Y(t) in this type of situation? The only thing I can think of is something like [tex]Y(t) = Ae^{-t}t^2cos(2t) + Be^{-t}tsin(2t)[/tex] but that seems rather painful
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Try,
[tex] Y(t) = Ae^{-t}tcos(2t) + Be^{-t}tsin(2t)[/tex]
which is what you wrote down but I changed a t^2 to a t. Yeah, it's kind of painful, but it will work. Without the t's it just the homogeneous solution. You knew that would give you zero, right?
 
Last edited: