How to motivate students to do proofs?

In summary, students are reluctant to write proofs because they are bad at it at the beginning, but if you give them incorrect proofs to work on, or show them how economy of expression in proofs can make a proof more elegant, they may be more willing to take on the task.
matqkks
I am finding it difficult to motivate students on why they should how to prove mathematical results. They learn them just to pass examinations but show no real interest or enthusiasm for this.
How can I inspire them to love essential kind of mathematics? They love doing mathematical techniques. Any resources or any answers would really help me.

Science news on Phys.org
May depend on the type of students and what or why they are studying.
What level of students? What level of courses?

Very very broadly, at some point in the future, a student (now) may ultimately need to ask himself, which side of this does he want to be on:
"Come, Mr. Tally Man, tally my bananas."

Last edited:
You can find some examples of where commonsense indicates one answer but the proof shows otherwise. The one problem with students is the drive to get good marks trumps thinking more deeply about problems. Proofs like great literary works requires a depth of understanding that students may not want to exert.

The Abel theorem is a good example wher a proof proves once and for all there is no formula like the quadratic formula for quintic polynomials. In essence saying you can stop looking for one.

Last edited:
symbolipoint said:
May depend on the type of students and what or why they are studying.
What level of students? What level of courses?

Very very broadly, at some point in the future, a student (now) may ultimately need to ask himself, which side of this does he want to be on:
"Come, Mr. Tally Man, tally my bananas."
They are undergraduates doing a discrete mathematics module.

Are they any good at writing proofs? Most students are horribly bad at it initially, and that may be part of the reason they're reluctant to do it.

One thing you might try is giving them incorrect proofs and asking them to figure out where the errors are.

Likes matqkks
I think geometric or set based proofs are a good starting point.

Likes matqkks
With respect to bad proofs, the angle trisection proofs are good where you can’t decide whether two arcs and a line intersect at the same point.

Another idea is to show the economy of expressions in proofs. As an example, there are many ways to prove the Pythagorean theorem some of which are more elegant and profound than others.

Likes matqkks

1. How can I make proofs more engaging for my students?

One way to make proofs more engaging is to provide real-life examples or applications of the theorem or concept being proven. This can help students see the relevance and practicality of proofs in the real world.

2. What are some strategies for helping struggling students understand proofs?

Some strategies for helping struggling students understand proofs include breaking down the proof into smaller, more manageable steps, providing visual aids or diagrams, and encouraging students to ask questions and work through the proof together as a class.

3. How can I encourage my students to see the value in learning how to do proofs?

One way to encourage students to see the value in learning how to do proofs is to emphasize the critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are developed through the process of proving a theorem. Remind students that these skills are applicable in many areas of life.

4. What can I do to motivate students who are not naturally interested in math to do proofs?

To motivate students who are not naturally interested in math to do proofs, you can try incorporating games or hands-on activities that involve proofs, such as puzzles or group problem-solving tasks. You can also share success stories or examples of famous mathematicians who have used proofs in their work.

5. How can I create a classroom environment that fosters motivation and enthusiasm for doing proofs?

Creating a positive and supportive classroom environment can help foster motivation and enthusiasm for doing proofs. This can include providing praise and encouragement when students successfully complete a proof, allowing for open discussion and collaboration, and giving students opportunities to apply their knowledge and skills in creative ways.