Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to obtain the parameters of DC motors?

1. Mar 27, 2017 #1
    Hello, I appreciate if somebody could help me to resolve this. I bought a geared DC motor from a store. I would like to obtain the following information: Resistance, Inductance, Back EMF constant, torque constant, and the voltage caused by Back EMF when the motor is supplied by a voltage input higher than the recommended one. What experiments do you recommend to obtain these values? Do I need fancy equipment to get these values by experiments?

Even I asked the company, they can only provide the following information (at the recommended voltage): torque constant, Back EMF constant, Dynamic Resistance and Motor Regulation. The guy asked the manufacturer. He said that these are all he can get and he has no idea what they mean. if I supply 4V higher than the recommended input voltage, will these provided values change a lot? Which parameter(s) stay the same?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2017 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Any identifying information on the motor - maker - product number ?

4. Mar 27, 2017 #3
    Just a Tamiya toys motor. The manufacturer does not seem to want to provide all the information.

5. Mar 27, 2017 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Mar 27, 2017 #5
    They only give the gear ratio. I need the parameters I mentioned for modelling. Any good approach to measure the values?

7. Mar 28, 2017 #6

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Mar 28, 2017 #7
    Thanks but not sufficient to model it. I need the parameters mentioned in the original post.

9. Mar 28, 2017 #8

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well I can't really see why you need any of these values but if you want to experiment then you need to build a test bench .

There would have to be at minimum some variety of very sensitive dynamometer , a tachometer , voltage and current meters , an oscilloscope and a finely controllable power source .

Problem is that any transient events like run up time to speed are going to take place so quickly that you won't be able to take reliable readings manually .

Probably best to use a PC to control the experiment and log all the data automatically .

What do you want to use the motor for ?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  10. Mar 28, 2017 #9
    Applying excess voltage may well result in excess current and a burnt out motor. Be a shame to burn up your motor just as you get the parameters you want.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted