1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to obtain the sampling frequency of frequency data

1. May 20, 2012 #1
    Hi everybody, this is my first question in this forums.

I have some complex data in Matlab the absolute value of which represent a frequency response. My data extend from 1 Hz to 20 kHz and have an incremental frequency of 1 Hz.

I now need to convert this frequency responses in Impulse responses in order to measure the duration of this Impulse response. I am a bit confused though on what is the sampling frequency of my data. I need this information I guess in order to calculate time.

Is it the highest frequency of my dataset (that is 20 kHz) or double this frequency (40 kHz).

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2012 #2

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Assuming I have understood you correctly, you essentially have a Fourier transform of a signal as this data set you are talking about? Your sampling frequency will be double the maximum resolved frequency. It is the concept of the Nyquist frequency.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook