A How to obtain the spectrum for a given atom or simple molecule?

• Thread starter jordi
  • Start date
The Bohr atom gave the answer to the spectrum of the hydrogen atom.

But the spectra of stars contains many absorption (and sometimes emission) lines, corresponding to most atoms (up to iron, I believe).

And atmospheric absorption is also due to absorption of some molecules, such as water, carbon dioxide and, I assume, some nitrogen molecule.

My question is: where can I find information to find methods (which I assume are numerical, say Hartree-Fock or extensions thereof) that are able to determine/predict/posdict the absorptions of a given atom and molecule, including electronic / vibration / rotation / ... modes?

DrClaude

Mentor
What is needed is computational chemistry software, see

Note that getting good numbers can be quite involved, especially for more complicated systems.

It is often best to rely on experimental spectroscopic data.
Thank you. Is there a book on both the underlying methods, and the practical usage of this software? I have heard about CP2K and Gaussian.

DrClaude

Mentor
Is there a book on both the underlying methods, and the practical usage of this software?
I don't know if there is a book that covers both. This software is mostly targeted at researchers, so a certain base knowledge is assumed. Also, many different approaches can be used, from semi-empirical methods to density functional theory, so I don't think you can get it all in one source.

For a very basic introduction to the subject, there is a chapter on computational chemistry in Atkins and Friedman's Molecular Quantum Mechanics. Likewise, a basic introduction can be found in Schrier, Introduction to Computational Physical Chemistry. A more complete description of Hartree-Fock methods can be found in McWeeny, Methods of Molecular Quantum Mechanics (it is graduate level).

Thinking about it, there would be one book that covers method and software, which is MOTECC. You might be able to find it in a university library, but I don't know if it is possible to get the software that is described in there.

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
The Bohr atom gave the answer to the spectrum of the hydrogen atom.

But the spectra of stars contains many absorption (and sometimes emission) lines, corresponding to most atoms (up to iron, I believe).

And atmospheric absorption is also due to absorption of some molecules, such as water, carbon dioxide and, I assume, some nitrogen molecule.

My question is: where can I find information to find methods (which I assume are numerical, say Hartree-Fock or extensions thereof) that are able to determine/predict/posdict the absorptions of a given atom and molecule, including electronic / vibration / rotation / ... modes?
As has been mentioned, there is no one book that covers everything. In fact, there is no one method that can numerically calculate every single transition for every single atom and molecules. It is why things like DFT often come up in many of such computation, etc.

BTW, most of the spectra (emission and absorption) that are currently used as the "fingerprint" of various atoms are derived from empirical data, not solely from computational results.

Zz.

Thank you for the answer. Which are the limits of spectral calculations? Are there some materials that are not tractable even by numerical calculations?

DrDu

Science Advisor