How to Place Deresonating Baffles in a Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jeewana
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Heat Shell Tube
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 11K views
jeewana
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Hi,

Anyone knows how to place the DERESONATING BAFFLES in a Shell and Tube heat Exchanger? How does it look likes?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jeewana said:
Hi,

Anyone knows how to place the DERESONATING BAFFLES in a Shell and Tube heat Exchanger? How does it look likes?

I am sure some engineer can locate the areas that are most prone to resonating, or even just someone with a stethescope - that is the place for the interiour baffles ... the ones I am familiar with lie within and to parallel the tube bundle.

I have also seen anti-swurrl (is that a word?) baffles placed near the tube inlet and outlets. If they are within the bundle they have to be removed for maintenence on the tube sheets etc - if inside the piping leading to the exchanger, not.

Other than that - differences in flow and pressure on the shellside can make a big difference.
 
Can anyone help me to find the the thermal properties (Density,Heat capacity,viscosity,thermal conductivity) of WHITE LIQUOR used in pulp industry?

[WHITE LIQUOR is a mixture of NaOH,Na2S,Na2CO3.]
 
Does this help? I think this is something that you'll need to calculate yourself.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6WHM-4MBJK4C-1&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1174338322&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=02b5229bb0f9b771161a241ec0872a5d
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, As you said this should be calculated since the percentages of its content varies. However I was expecting some typical values for a design.

Thanks again.
 
croghan27 said:
I am sure some engineer can locate the areas that are most prone to resonating, or even just someone with a stethescope - that is the place for the interiour baffles ... the ones I am familiar with lie within and to parallel the tube bundle.

I have also seen anti-swurrl (is that a word?) baffles placed near the tube inlet and outlets. If they are within the bundle they have to be removed for maintenence on the tube sheets etc - if inside the piping leading to the exchanger, not.

Other than that - differences in flow and pressure on the shellside can make a big difference.


Thanks for the reply. It helped me to get some idea.
Jeewana