How to properly prepare for org. Chemistry exam?

In summary, the speaker is finding organic chemistry to be the most challenging subject they have ever encountered due to the large amount of material to cover. They struggle with determining what is important to study and how to properly prepare for exams. They find it easier to study for physics exams as it is more about understanding principles rather than memorizing information. The speaker is seeking advice on how to prepare for organic chemistry exams and the expert suggests practicing and understanding reaction mechanisms as well as familiarizing oneself with different functional groups.
Lokratin
Hi,

First of all, I don't have much difficulties learning stuff for exams in general. Though, organic chemistry seems to be the hardest subject I ever had. Not because I find it too difficult to understand, it's because of the quantity. I don't really know how to properly prepare for my exam. We did stereochemistry, nomenclature, sugars and amino acids, basics of quantum physics to understand orbital theory, and at least a whole bunch of reaction mechanisms. It's very difficult for me to sort out unimportant stuff, since everything seems important to me.

I find it much easier to study for my physics exams (I'm a biophysics student). I don't have to learn too much by heart, it's much more a matter of understanding principles and applying them. For me, it doesn't work that way with chemistry ...

Do you have some advice? How do you prepare for org. chemistry exams?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Organic Chemistry is simple if you know how to predict the mechanism. To do so, you need to solve every reaction with mechanism.

Then there are specific functional groups which have their own chemistry, so you need to know about them.

1. How should I study for an organic chemistry exam?

Studying for an organic chemistry exam requires a combination of understanding concepts, practicing problems, and memorizing reactions. Make sure to review lecture notes, textbook material, and practice problems to fully grasp the material.

2. How can I memorize all the reactions for the exam?

Memorizing reactions can be challenging, but creating flashcards or using mnemonic devices can help. It's also important to understand the mechanisms and patterns behind reactions to make memorization easier.

3. Should I focus more on practicing problems or reviewing concepts?

Both practicing problems and reviewing concepts are important for preparing for an organic chemistry exam. It's essential to understand the concepts in order to solve problems effectively.

4. How can I manage my time effectively while preparing for the exam?

Creating a study schedule and breaking down the material into smaller chunks can help with time management. It's also important to prioritize the topics that you find most challenging.

5. What are some helpful resources for preparing for an organic chemistry exam?

There are many helpful resources for preparing for an organic chemistry exam, such as textbooks, lecture notes, practice problems, and online resources like study guides and videos. It's also beneficial to attend review sessions or seek help from a tutor if needed.