Planning to take a high school Chemistry licensing exam....

In summary, the conversation is about someone wanting to take a licensing exam for chemistry before leaving the US in two months. They are starting from scratch and are unsure about the topics covered on the exam. The exam covers topics such as the nature of matter, energy and its interaction with matter, bonding and molecular structure, and chemical reactions and stoichiometry. To prepare, it is recommended to look at AP Chemistry books and review resources.
SinaloaPaisa
I have only took Chemistry in high school and that was about 10 years ago. So pretty much I will be starting from scratch as I certainly forgot everything. Good news is you do not need a high score on the exam to pass (72% I believe). I have about 2 months left in the US and want to take this licensing exam before I leave.

I am not sure what exactly do these topics cover i.e. basic chem, chem 2, or both. Could someone clarify this for me.

How would you guys plan to tackle this in such a short time? Study books, sites, or resources?

Topics covered

Knowledge of the nature of matter - 10%

Knowledge of energy and its interaction with matter - 14%

Knowledge of bonding and molecular structure - 18%

Knowledge of chemical reactions and stoichiometry - 21%

Knowledge of atomic theory and structure - 12%

Knowledge of the nature of science - 10%

Knowledge of measurement - 10%

Knowledge of appropriate laboratory use and procedures - 5%

http://www.fl.nesinc.com/PDFs/Chemistry6-12_TIG_3rdEd_DOE072415.pdf

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I would start by looking at the AP Chemistry books since that seems to be the extent to which you are going to have to teach. There are many AP Chem resources and if you wanted a book you could go to the book resources in the forum.

Perhaps if you are in a time crunch, looking at an AP Chemistry review book would help as well?

1. What is the purpose of a high school Chemistry licensing exam?

The purpose of a high school Chemistry licensing exam is to assess the knowledge and understanding of fundamental concepts in Chemistry at a high school level. It is typically required for students who wish to pursue higher education or careers in fields related to Chemistry.

2. What topics are covered in a high school Chemistry licensing exam?

The topics covered in a high school Chemistry licensing exam may vary, but generally include the basic principles of Chemistry such as atomic structure, periodic table, chemical reactions, stoichiometry, acids and bases, and thermodynamics. Some exams may also cover organic chemistry and laboratory skills.

3. How can I prepare for a high school Chemistry licensing exam?

To prepare for a high school Chemistry licensing exam, it is important to review class notes, textbooks, and practice problems. You can also use study guides and online resources to supplement your studying. It is also helpful to take practice exams to familiarize yourself with the format and types of questions that may be on the actual exam.

4. Are there any tips for taking a high school Chemistry licensing exam?

Some tips for taking a high school Chemistry licensing exam include reading and understanding each question carefully, showing all work and calculations, and reviewing your answers before submitting the exam. It is also helpful to manage your time effectively and not spend too much time on difficult questions.

5. Is it necessary to pass a high school Chemistry licensing exam?

It may be necessary to pass a high school Chemistry licensing exam depending on your goals and future plans. Some colleges and universities may require a passing score on this exam for admission into certain programs. Additionally, passing this exam may also demonstrate your proficiency in Chemistry and make you a more competitive candidate for scholarships and job opportunities.