How to prove differentiability?

In summary, the function f is differentiable at x=0, and its derivative is lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x)-f(0)}{x-0}.
Reid

Homework Statement

Given an interval I. The function f goes from I to the real line. Define f as f(x)=x^2 if x rational or 0 if x is irrational. show that f i differentiablle at x=0 and find its derivative at this point, i.e. x=0.

Homework Equations

I have a given lead on this. That |f(x)/x|<|x|. But I'm not sure how this should help me. I have started with the definition and I have tried to determine a certain epsilon for which this is true. But I don't know how.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have shown that the function is continuous at this point and therefore know that the derivative might exist. But when it comes to the actual differentiability I have that (according to the definition),
given a positive epsilon there exists a delta. For x satisfying the inequality
0<|x-c|<delta, the inequality |(f(x)-f(c))/(x-c)-L|<epsilon holds. L then is called f's derivative in the point c.

I'm not sure if this counts as an attempt. But this problem is really bugging me.

Hopes for an answer!

Physics news on Phys.org
the derivative is [tex]lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x)-f(0)}{x-0} = lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x)}{x}[/tex] as f(0)=0 by definition. But notice f(x)=x2 or 0, so f(x)/x is either 0 or x. See what you can do with that

Reid said:

Homework Statement

Given an interval I. The function f goes from I to the real line. Define f as f(x)=x^2 if x rational or 0 if x is irrational. show that f i differentiablle at x=0 and find its derivative at this point, i.e. x=0.

Homework Equations

I have a given lead on this. That |f(x)/x|<|x|. But I'm not sure how this should help me. I have started with the definition and I have tried to determine a certain epsilon for which this is true. But I don't know how.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have shown that the function is continuous at this point and therefore know that the derivative might exist. But when it comes to the actual differentiability I have that (according to the definition),
given a positive epsilon there exists a delta. For x satisfying the inequality
0<|x-c|<delta, the inequality |(f(x)-f(c))/(x-c)-L|<epsilon holds. L then is called f's derivative in the point c.

I'm not sure if this counts as an attempt. But this problem is really bugging me.

Hopes for an answer!

Okay, so your function f is defined like as follow:

[tex]f(x) : = \left\{ \begin{array}{ll} x ^ 2 \quad & , \mbox{if } x \in \mathbb{Q} \\ 0 \quad & , \mbox{if } x \notin \mathbb{Q}\end{array} \right.[/tex]

So that means, for all x:
[tex]0 \leq |f(x)| \leq x ^ 2[/tex]

Divide all by |x| > 0, (since |x| > 0, the signs won't change) we have:

[tex]0 \leq \left| \frac{f(x)}{x} \right| \leq \left| \frac{x ^ 2}{x} \right|[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow 0 \leq \left| \frac{f(x)}{x} \right| \leq | x |[/tex] (1) (this is true for x <> 0)

Now, the derivative at x = 0, of the above function is:

[tex]f'(0) = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x) - f(0)}{x - 0}[/tex]

[tex]= \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x) - 0}{x - 0}[/tex] (0 is rational, so f(0) = 0)

[tex]= \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x)}{x}[/tex]

Now, using the inequality (1) above can you show that the limit exists? And what is that limit? Note that:

[tex]|a| \rightarrow 0 \Leftrightarrow a \rightarrow 0[/tex], i.e a tends to 0, if and only if |a| tends to 0.

So, can you go from here? :)

Last edited:
Yes, I know where to go from there.

You are amazing! Thank you! :)

1. How do you define differentiability?

Differentiability is a mathematical concept that describes the smoothness of a function at a given point. A function is differentiable at a point if the derivative of the function exists at that point. In other words, if the function has a well-defined slope at that point, it is considered differentiable.

2. What is the difference between differentiability and continuity?

While both differentiability and continuity involve the smoothness of a function, there is a key difference between the two. A function is continuous at a point if the limit of the function at that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. On the other hand, a function is differentiable at a point if the derivative of the function exists at that point.

3. How do you prove differentiability using the limit definition?

The limit definition of differentiability states that a function f is differentiable at a point x if the following limit exists:

lim┬(h→0)⁡〖(f(x+h)-f(x))/h 〗

To prove differentiability using this definition, we need to show that this limit exists and is equal to a finite value.

4. Can a function be differentiable at a point but not continuous?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be differentiable at a point but not continuous. This occurs when the limit of the function at that point exists, but the function is not defined at that point. An example of this is the function f(x) = |x|, which is differentiable at x = 0 but not continuous at that point.

5. What are some common techniques for proving differentiability?

There are several techniques that can be used to prove differentiability, including the limit definition, the power rule, the product rule, and the chain rule. Other helpful tools include the definition of continuity and the intermediate value theorem. Additionally, it can be useful to use graphs and visual aids to understand the behavior of the function at the point in question.