1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to prove ln(x) < sqrt(x) for all x>0

1. Sep 27, 2010 #1
    Hi,

I know I can use a graphical calculator to easily show that
    How to prove ln(x) < sqrt(x) for all x>0

But I wonder if there is a rigorous way to demonstrate this.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2010 #2
    what do you call that? proof by calculator graphic? I would consider the function [itex]f(x) = lnx - \sqrt{x}[/itex] (or is it the other way around? well you get the idea) & use calculus to show that the resulting function is monotone increasing on that interval. off the top of my head that's probably the best way to do it.

4. Sep 27, 2010 #3
    Is there a non-graphical way of doing it?

5. Sep 27, 2010 #4
    Hi Grossgermany,

To answer the question, I'm assuming you have a rough idea of Calculus.

We know that the derivative of a formula, tells us the rate of change of the formula. We also that both formulas are always positive.

(Sorry no Latex I tried to make it works, but i failed. )

So let's take the derivative of ln(x) d/dx (ln(x)) = 1/x
    Then of sqrt(x) d/dx (sqrt(x)) = 1/(2sqrt(x))

As x goes to infinity, 1/2 becomes useless, and for simplicity sake let's remove it.

1/x < 1/(2sqrt(x)) --> 1/x < 1/sqrt(x)

Then we can clearly see that as x increase to infinity, the rate of change of sqrt(x) is greater then ln(x).

I've just though about it while reading your question, but I am fairly sure of my answer.

Vardd

6. Sep 27, 2010 #5
    Showing the derivative of x^1/2 – ln(x) is positive for all x>0 is fairly easy.

7. Sep 27, 2010 #6
    You can’t just remove the ½, and your method would only show for some value of N, for x>N would ln(x) < x^1/2

8. Sep 27, 2010 #7
    This is the way to do it. You also need to show that it's a positive value from the beginning though (lim x approaches 0 of f(x) = +) since increasing wouldn't really prove anything by itself (ex: any function where f(x) = - where x< some positive number k, but f(x) increasing from x>0).

9. Sep 28, 2010 #8
    Except the statement is not true
    0.5*1/sqrt(x)-1/x is not always positive for x>0.

10. Sep 28, 2010 #9
    good catch, so where would the min of 0.5*1/sqrt(x)-1/x be at?

11. Sep 28, 2010 #10
    whoops, it's not monotone like I said but the minimum is positive, & that will still do it

12. Sep 28, 2010 #11
    consider the function [tex]{f(x) = e^{\sqrt{x}} - x,}[/tex] which is >0
    so that [tex]f^{\prime}[/tex] >0 for all x and therefore
    [tex]e^{\sqrt{x}} - x > 0[/tex] , and thus [tex]\sqrt{x} > \ln{x}[/tex]

13. Sep 28, 2010 #12

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How do you prove that it's positive?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook