1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to prove that a limit of a two-variable function does not exist?

1. Mar 27, 2012 #1
    9065he.jpg

I need to prove this limit does NOT exist. I know that the denominator cancels out, however my lecturer says the limit does not exist because we cannot find a circle with radius [itex]\delta[/itex] that contains the point (0,0), as the function is not defined for all y=x. Here is a little drawing of the domain.

Is my lecturer's explanation valid?

Thanks in advance,
    Michael

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2012 #2
    Rationalize it

4. Mar 27, 2012 #3
    I guess his explanation makes sense, but that's a funny way of putting it.

5. Mar 27, 2012 #4
    Can you think of another way? If you do, please post

6. Mar 27, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, that limit certainly does exist --- at least it exists using the mufti-variable definition of limit with which I am familiar.

[itex]\displaystyle \text{If }x\ne y\,,\text{ then }\frac{x^2-y^2}{x-y}=\frac{(x-y)(x+y)}{x-y}=x+y\,.[/itex] No matter what continuous path you take (in the domain of the given function) to approach (0,0), x+y → 0 .

On the other hand, the function is not continuous at (x,y) = (0,0) because it's not defined at (x,y) = (0,0) .

7. Mar 27, 2012 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think it is common for functions of two variables to be required to be defined in a punctured disk around (a,b) in order to claim a limit as ##(x,y)\to (a,b)## of the function exist. That is presumably required in this case, given the lecturer's statement.

8. Mar 28, 2012 #7
    Well, as far as I know, the limit does not have to be defined at the point itself (0,0), but there must exist at least one disc that contains it.

9. Mar 28, 2012 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, there must be a punctured disk around (a,b) in the domain of the function, which you don't have.

10. Mar 28, 2012 #9
    Alright, thanks a lot!

11. Mar 28, 2012 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Even the path y= x??

12. Mar 28, 2012 #11

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

y=x is not in the domain of [itex]\displaystyle \frac{x^2-y^2}{x-y}\ .[/itex]

It appears that Calculus textbooks don't agree on the definition of the limit for functions of more than one variable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook