How to prove that electric field strengths are the same

In summary, The conversation discusses a non-uniform charge density distribution in the xy-plane, dependent only on x and with a value of 0 for x<0 and x>d. The goal is to show that the magnitude of the electric fields at any point (x,y) where x< 0 and at any point (x,y) where x> d are the same. The conversation mentions using the Poisson equation and Maxwell's equations, and concludes with a discussion on the effect of infinities on the electric fields in both areas.
p6.626x1034js
hi, it's my first post :)
this is not really a homework problem but it's almost like that so...

Homework Statement

in the xy-plane, suppose that there is a non-uniform charge density distribution between x=0 and x=d. the distribution is dependent only on x so that for any vertical line x = a (0≤a≤d), the charge density anywhere on that line is the same. for x<0 and x>d, the charge density is 0.

i would like to show that the magnitude of the electric fields at any point (x,y) where x< 0 and at any point (x,y) where x> d are the same.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can show that the field strength in both areas are constant.

if I "zoom out" far enough , the area between x = 0 and x =d would appear like a line charge with constant linear charge density. by symmetry, i then argue that the field strength m units to the left of that line charge is equal to the field strength m units to the right of the line charge.

because the field in both areas are constant, they must be equal

is my solution valid? if it were, is there any other more "mathematical" solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the Poisson equation for x < 0 and x > d?

What then is the relationship between the potential and the electric field? What 1st order diff. eq. do you wind up with, and what is its solution?

rude man said:
What's the Poisson equation for x < 0 and x > d?

Thank you for the reply.
We haven't covered the Poisson equation yet. We've covered Maxwell's equations though, both integral and differential forms and the boundary conditions. So, I was thinking if there's another way without using that Poisson equation...

But thanks, i'll check that. :smile:

Actually, I should just have said, use divE = ρ/ε. One of the Maxwell relations, of course.

yes, I've done that

∂Ex(x) / ∂x = ε0ρ(x) for 0<x<d
and
∂Ex(x) / ∂x = 0 for 0>x and x>d

Ex (x)= ε0∫ρ(x)dx (from 0 to x) + Ex(0) for 0<x<d
and
Ex (x)= Ex(0) for x<0
and
Ex (x)= Ex(d) for x>d

my problem is how to arrive at the conclusion that
Ex(0) = Ex(d) ?

p6.626x1034js said:
yes, I've done that

my problem is how to arrive at the conclusion that
Ex(0) = Ex(d) ?

Oops, I see what you mean. I mistakenly thought you needed to show only that the E fields for x < 0 and x > d are constant, not the same constant.

The thing here is, we're dealing with infinities, which can be tricky. Consider a thin strip dx situated at x = x0 on 0 < x < d and extending from -∞ < y < ∞. Now, you know that it doesn't matter where along x > d you are, the E field is the same. So the E field must be the same value for x < 0 as for x > d, just by symmetry.

In other words, say you pick a value x = 3d. I can then say, OK, go to x = -3d + 2x0, which is equidistant on the other side of the strip, so obviously the E fields due to that strip must be the same for x < 0 as for x > d. Then you just argue superposition of the infinite number of strips existing between x=0 and x=d, and you have the result that the field is the same in both areas.

To sum up, you first show (which you already did) that E(x<0) = c1 and E(x>d) = c2. Then you show that c1 = c2.

You could go whole-hog and do the double integration & you'd find the same thing (I haven't done it!).

It sounds goofy: say ρ(x) = kx, 0 < x < d, k > 0. The you'd think the E field for x > d must be greater than for x < 0. Which is why I say that infinities can do strange things!

Last edited:

1. How can I determine if two electric field strengths are the same?

To prove that two electric field strengths are the same, you can use the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force, and q is the charge. By calculating the electric field strength for both cases and comparing the results, you can determine if they are equal.

2. Can I use a voltmeter to measure electric field strength?

No, a voltmeter measures voltage, not electric field strength. To measure electric field strength, you can use a device called an electroscope or a device specifically designed to measure electric fields.

3. How does distance affect electric field strength?

According to Coulomb's Law, electric field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two charges. This means that as distance increases, electric field strength decreases.

4. Is it possible for two electric fields to cancel each other out?

Yes, if two electric fields are equal in strength but opposite in direction, they will cancel each other out. This is known as destructive interference.

5. How can I prove that the electric field strength is the same at all points on a conductor's surface?

The electric field is the same at all points on a conductor's surface because charges on a conductor will distribute themselves in such a way that the electric field is equal in strength at all points. This can be proven by using Gauss's Law, which states that the electric field passing through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of the medium.