How to prove that rank is a similarity invariant?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Raskolnikov
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Invariant rank
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 11K views
Raskolnikov
Messages
193
Reaction score
2
1. Prove that the rank of a matrix is invariant under similarity.Notes so far:
Let A, B, P be nxn matrices, and let A and B be similar. That is, there exists an invertible matrix P such that B = P-1AP. I know the following relations so far: rank(P)=rank(P-1)=n ; rank(A) = rank(AT); rank(A) + nullity(A) = n . However, I'm unable to write a full proof of the theorem. It makes sense intuitively, but I really would like a written proof.Thanks for your help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Rank is the dimension of the image of the transformation. Can you compare the dimension of the image of B and A?
 
Yea, it sort of just hit me. Just to verify I've written it up soundly, how does this sound to you?

Let [tex]B = P^{-1}AP.[/tex] Consider [tex]T_A:V \rightarrow V[/tex] and [tex]T_B: V \rightarrow V.[/tex] Then [tex](P^{-1}AP)\textbf{x} = \textbf{0} \Leftrightarrow A\textbf{x}=\textbf{0}[/tex], simply multiply by [tex]P[/tex] on left and [tex]P^{-1}[/tex] on right. Therefore, [tex]N(T_A) = N(T_B).[/tex] Equivalently, [tex]rank(A) = rank(B)[/tex].
 
Raskolnikov said:
Yea, it sort of just hit me. Just to verify I've written it up soundly, how does this sound to you?

Let [tex]B = P^{-1}AP.[/tex] Consider [tex]T_A:V \rightarrow V[/tex] and [tex]T_B: V \rightarrow V.[/tex] Then [tex](P^{-1}AP)\textbf{x} = \textbf{0} \Leftrightarrow A\textbf{x}=\textbf{0}[/tex], simply multiply by [tex]P[/tex] on left and [tex]P^{-1}[/tex] on right. Therefore, [tex]N(T_A) = N(T_B).[/tex] Equivalently, [tex]rank(A) = rank(B)[/tex].
That doesn't work because the x gets in the way when you try to multiply by P-1 on the right.
 
vela said:
That doesn't work because the x gets in the way when you try to multiply by P-1 on the right.

Attempt #2:
hmmm...well, since P is invertible, [tex]R(T_P) = R^n.[/tex]
So [tex](P^{-1}AP)\textbf{x} = \textbf{0} \Leftrightarrow AP\textbf{x}=\textbf{0} <br /> \Leftrightarrow T_A(T_P(\textbf{x})) = \textbf{0}.[/tex] But, since [tex]R(T_P) = R^n ,[/tex] this is equivalent to [tex]T_A(\textbf{x}) = A\textbf{x}= \textbf{0}.[/tex]

How is this?
 
Last edited:
That doesn't work either. For example, working in R2, suppose you have

[tex]A=\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

and

[tex]P=\begin{bmatrix} 0 & 1 \\ -1 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Then

[tex]P^{-1}AP\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

but

[tex]A\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

So P-1APx=0 doesn't imply Ax=0.
 
Alright, I think I'm over-complicating things. Since P and P-1 are invertible, they are equivalent to multiplication of some elementary matrices. Thus, multiplying A on the left by P-1 is solely elementary row operations, and multiplying by P on the right is solely elementary column operations. Neither of these affect the dimensions of the rowspace or columnspace of A. Thus, rank(A) remains the same.

How does this sound?
 
That sounds more complicated than necessary to me. Go back to your original idea but be more careful- If [itex]B= P^{-1}AP[/itex] and Bx= 0, then (P^{-1}AP)x= P^{-1}(AP)x= 0 so, multiplying on both sides by P, APx= 0. Now let [itex]y= P^{-1}x[/itex] so that [itex]x= Py[/itex]. APx= AP(P^{-1}P)x= A(Px)= Ay= 0.
 
HallsofIvy said:
Now let [itex]y= P^{-1}x[/itex] so that [itex]x= Py[/itex]. APx= AP(P^{-1}P)x= A(Px)= Ay= 0.

I don't see how that logically follows. From your definition of y, we should get [tex]APx = AP(Py) = AP^2y=0.[/tex]

Regardless, I think I stumbled on a somewhat more elegant proof. It uses the general fact that [tex]rank(AB) \ \leq \ min\{rank(A),rank(B)\}.[/tex]

Let [itex] B= P^{-1}AP[/itex]. Then [tex]rank(B) = rank(P^{-1}AP) \leq rank(P^{-1})rank(A)rank(P) \leq rank(A),[/tex] since [tex]rank(P) = rank(P^{-1}) = n \geq rank(A).[/tex] Similarly, since [tex]A=PBP^{-1}[/tex], we easily find that [tex]rank(A) \leq rank(B).[/tex] Therefore, [tex]rank(A)=rank(B).[/tex]