How to prove that the L2 norm is a non-increasing function of time?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Su3liminal
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


image.jpg



Homework Equations


How can I start the proof? Shall I use the Poincare inequality?

The Attempt at a Solution


Well, I know that this norm is defined by
wmfWa.gif
p4kUw.gif
, but still I don't know how to start constructing the proof?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Su3liminal said:

Homework Statement


image.jpg



Homework Equations


How can I start the proof? Shall I use the Poincare inequality?

The Attempt at a Solution


Well, I know that this norm is defined by
wmfWa.gif
p4kUw.gif
, but still I don't know how to start constructing the proof?

Start by omitting the square root. Take ##\partial / \partial t## inside the integral sign (justify!), then use the DE to eliminate, or at least, modify ##\partial{u^2}/\partial t##.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Ray Vickson said:
Start by omitting the square root. Take ##\partial / \partial t## inside the integral sign (justify!), then use the DE to eliminate, or at least, modify ##\partial{u^2}/\partial t##.

Thanks! I have done what you said (note that I just made a change in variables so I stick to the symbol convention of integration by parts.):

[itex]\\2\int_{0}^{L}\frac{\partial^2 s}{\partial x^2}s dx<br /> \\<br /> \\<br /> \\u=s, dv=\frac{\partial^2 s}{\partial x^2}dx<br /> \\du=\frac{\partial s}{\partial x}dx,v=\frac{\partial s}{\partial x}<br /> <br /> \\<br /> \\<br /> \\\therefore 2\int_{0}^{L}\frac{\partial^2 s}{\partial x^2}s dx=2s\frac{\partial s}{\partial x}\mid-2\int_{0}^{L}\frac{\partial s}{\partial x}\frac{\partial s}{\partial x}dx=-2\int_{0}^{L}(\frac{\partial s}{\partial x})^{2}dx[/itex]

Is that sufficient?
 
Last edited:
Standard for me would be to start with ## \frac{\partial u}{\partial t}= \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}## and multiply by ##u## then integrate over the spatial domain ##[0,L]##.