1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to prove that the L2 norm is a non-increasing function of time?

1. Sep 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    image.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    How can I start the proof? Shall I use the Poincare inequality?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I know that this norm is defined by wmfWa.gif p4kUw.gif , but still I don't know how to start constructing the proof?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Start by omitting the square root. Take ##\partial / \partial t## inside the integral sign (justify!), then use the DE to eliminate, or at least, modify ##\partial{u^2}/\partial t##.

4. Sep 13, 2014 #3
    Thanks! I have done what you said (note that I just made a change in variables so I stick to the symbol convention of integration by parts.):

[itex]\\2\int_{0}^{L}\frac{\partial^2 s}{\partial x^2}s dx
    \\
    \\
    \\u=s, dv=\frac{\partial^2 s}{\partial x^2}dx
    \\du=\frac{\partial s}{\partial x}dx,v=\frac{\partial s}{\partial x}

\\
    \\
    \\\therefore 2\int_{0}^{L}\frac{\partial^2 s}{\partial x^2}s dx=2s\frac{\partial s}{\partial x}\mid-2\int_{0}^{L}\frac{\partial s}{\partial x}\frac{\partial s}{\partial x}dx=-2\int_{0}^{L}(\frac{\partial s}{\partial x})^{2}dx[/itex]

Is that sufficient?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  5. Sep 14, 2014 #4
    Standard for me would be to start with ## \frac{\partial u}{\partial t}= \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}## and multiply by ##u## then integrate over the spatial domain ##[0,L]##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted