Covid vaccines - CDC report on associated mortality

jim mcnamara
Mentor
TL;DR Summary
During December 2020–July 2021, COVID-19 vaccine recipients had lower rates of non–COVID-19 mortality than did unvaccinated persons after adjusting for age, sex, race and ethnicity, and study site.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7043e2.htm?s_cid=mm7043e2_w
CDC MMWR report on research: Weekly / October 29, 2021 / 70(43);1520–1524
"COVID-19 Vaccination and Non–COVID-19 Mortality Risk — Seven Integrated Health Care Organizations, United States, December 14, 2020–July 31, 2021"

This research is directed toward answering this:
"Do people vaccinated with Covid vaccine (Pfizer, Moderna, J&J) die from other unrelated causes (Non-covid related , i.e., heart disease, cancer, stroke, etc.) more than unvaccinated people?"

This was a very large set of populations with controls.

Look at table 3 for results. The numbers are age 100 adjusted dates, which is a way to compare deaths rates among populations. The (0.xx-0.yy) data shows mean age 100 value with a confidence interval -- the (0.xx - 0.yy) bit. If the resulting difference is not in a significant CI it show a 1 (1.xx-1.yy) instead of zero. The Pfizer data for the age 11-17 is therefore not significant. J&J has a separate control group because it was given an EUA later than the other two vaccines.

The short answer is:
During December 2020–July 2021, COVID-19 vaccine recipients had lower rates of non–COVID-19 mortality than did unvaccinated persons after adjusting for age, sex, race and ethnicity, and study site.
... for populations in the scope of this report.

The report shows association not causality.

Likes pinball1970 and Drakkith

Answers and Replies

fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2022 Award
This could be used to calibrate the Covid statistics, i.e. removing the noise of other causes. I don't think that it could prove a correlation due to the vaccines. There are so many factors that affect the numbers that it is impossible to clean the data. E.g.
can simply be the case because people who are vaccinated are in general more risk-averse than unvaccinated people. I keep wearing a mask or two despite the fact that I am vaccinated. Also, Covid avoidance measures like masks or higher hygiene reduce fatalities by flu.

It would be more interesting to see the mortality rates of vaccination breakthroughs depending on the specific vaccines.

Likes pinball1970
Ygggdrasil
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
It would be more interesting to see the mortality rates of vaccination breakthroughs depending on the specific vaccines.

Here's the overall mortality data from the US:
1636735583876.png

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tr...me=USCDC_2145-DM69654#rates-by-vaccine-status

• Informative
Likes jim mcnamara, nsaspook, pinball1970 and 4 others

Suggested for: Covid vaccines - CDC report on associated mortality

• Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies