How to prove the limit of the sequence?

In summary, the problem states that the sequence {a_n} satisfies certain conditions and the task is to prove that the limit of na_n is equal to 1. The attempt at a solution involves showing that a_n is a monotonically decreasing sequence with a limit of zero, and then examining the sequence b_n = n*a_n to determine its behavior and possible convergence.
kakarotyjn

Homework Statement

Assume the sequence [tex] \{ a_n \} [/tex] satisfys [tex] 0 < a_1 < 1 [/tex] and [tex]
a_{n + 1} = a_n (1 - a_n )(n \ge 1) [/tex],prove [tex]
\mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } {\kern 1pt} {\kern 1pt} {\kern 1pt} na_n = 1 [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a_n is a monotonicly decreasing sequence,and it is above zero,so a_n has a limit,zero.

let [tex] b_n=n*a_n [/tex] then we got [tex]
\frac{{b_{n + 1} }}{{n + 1}} = \frac{{b_n }}{n}(1 - \frac{{b_n }}{n}) [/tex],but I don't know how to do next.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would go about showing first that a_n is always positive and decreasing. I would then ewxamine if you b_n is an increasing or decreasing sequence. After thay I might examine the following:

[tex]
|b_{n}-1)|
[/tex]

to see what I could find.

1. How do I find the limit of a sequence?

To find the limit of a sequence, you can use one of several methods, such as the squeeze theorem, the monotone convergence theorem, or the Cauchy criterion. These methods involve analyzing the behavior of the terms in the sequence as the index approaches infinity.

2. What is the difference between a limit and a limit point?

A limit of a sequence is a single value that the terms in the sequence approach as the index approaches infinity. A limit point, on the other hand, is a value that the terms in the sequence get arbitrarily close to, but may not necessarily approach as the index approaches infinity. In other words, a limit is a specific value, while a limit point is a range of values.

3. Can a sequence have more than one limit?

No, a sequence can only have one limit. This is because the limit of a sequence is defined as the single value that the terms in the sequence approach as the index approaches infinity. If a sequence has more than one limit, it would not have a well-defined behavior as the index approaches infinity.

4. What is the role of continuity in proving the limit of a sequence?

In order to prove the limit of a sequence, you must show that the sequence is convergent. Continuity is a necessary condition for convergence, as it ensures that the terms in the sequence do not have any sudden jumps or gaps. Therefore, continuity is an important factor in proving the limit of a sequence.

5. Can a sequence with a finite limit also have a limit point?

Yes, a sequence with a finite limit can also have a limit point. This is because the limit of a sequence is a specific value, while a limit point is a range of values that the terms in the sequence get arbitrarily close to. So, while the limit of a sequence may be a finite value, the terms in the sequence may get arbitrarily close to other values, resulting in a limit point.