How to Prove z^n + 1/z^n = 2cos(nθ) Using Induction?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
mikee
Messages
30
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement

If z is a non-real complex number such that z+1/z=2costheta, prove that z^n+1/z^n=2cosntheta for any posistive integer n



Homework Equations


I think the process of induction would work, but I am not quite sure how to do that with all of the unknowns, would i just treat costheta as a constant number


The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
mikee said:

Homework Statement

If z is a non-real complex number such that z+1/z=2costheta, prove that z^n+1/z^n=2cosntheta for any posistive integer n



Homework Equations


I think the process of induction would work, but I am not quite sure how to do that with all of the unknowns, would i just treat costheta as a constant number


The Attempt at a Solution


Apparently
[tex] z=e^{i\theta}[/tex]
...does that help?