Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to record streaming DivX video?

1. Jan 12, 2006 #1
    How do I do this? Is there any free software. I have been looking for hours without any luck. Please help me, I really need to record this video soon.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2006 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Wait, do you want to record a video that is being streamed from some website.... or do you want to create a video so that you can stream to other people?

I don't think divx is capable of streaming in the first place.

4. Jan 12, 2006 #3
    The file type is actually called: "DivX Ticket File". It is a streaming video that I rented, therefore I only have a limited time to record it.

5. Jan 12, 2006 #4
    I want to record the streamed video onto my HD.

6. Jan 12, 2006 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Divx Ticket file? Never heard of it, sounds cool.

You probably can't do it though... I remember a few yers ago wanting to record a .wma stream and i was told it just couldn't be done. Might want to google around for something like that.

7. Jan 12, 2006 #6
    Dude, I have been googling for about an hour.

8. Jan 12, 2006 #7
    Can't I just record everything that is on my screen? You know, like record me typing this now and every thing on my screen?

9. Jan 12, 2006 #8
    Like using Camtasia? That could be possible, but I don't think I would recommend it. How long are these streaming videos?

10. Jan 12, 2006 #9
    it is just one file, and it is about 1.5 hrs. Why wouldn't you recomend using that. And what is that thing you mentioned?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  11. Jan 12, 2006 #10
    Will this Catmania program work?

12. Jan 12, 2006 #11
    I downloaded this Catmania program, and i can only figure out how to capture still images. How do you get it to catpture video?

13. Jan 12, 2006 #12
    I got it to capture the video, but with no audio? Can you not record both audio and video?

14. Jan 12, 2006 #13
    You can record audio, I believe. I am unsure about Camtasia because I believe if you want good quality, you will end up with HUGE file sizes for long videos.

15. Jan 12, 2006 #14
    In purely technical terms it is possible to capture and save the file (its all just data after all) but I don't know of any programs that can do this. The fact is, the media companies don't want you doing this for obvious reasons. Anyone who wrote a program to do this would likely get slammed with lawsuits.

16. Jan 12, 2006 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

1.5hours of recording what is on your screen would just plow through your hard drive like nobodys business. A fully compressed ~640x480 video at 1.5 hours is probably 1GB. Now a normal desktop these days is either 1024x768 or 1280x960 which would be like 3-4GB. What you'll be dealing with, however, is uncompressed video. That is when you start talking about tens or hundreds of GBs of data

17. Jan 12, 2006 #16
    Ahh, I missed the video length. I agree with Pengwuino, 1.5hrs is way too long.

18. Jan 12, 2006 #17

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Speaking of big ass file sizes... anyone see that dell XPS commercial where they are offering terrabyte hard drives? What idiot buys dell off a tv and actaully needs ... hell more then 100GB let alone a terrabyte?

19. Jan 12, 2006 #18
    I have a few hundred gigs on one of my harddrives to spare. I am not worried about the size.

20. Jan 12, 2006 #19
    Beer companies also don't want people to brew there own beer, but that doesn't stop the millions of people that brew dope in their own home.

21. Jan 12, 2006 #20

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Hope that hard drive is fast enough to keep up with the writings.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?