How to record streaming DivX video?

• Thread starter Nothing000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Video
In summary: I shouldn't say I were to brew my own beer, I should say I were to brew a better beer then Budweiser then Budweiser wouldn't like that.In pure technical terms, it is possible to capture and save the file (its all just data after all), but I don't know of any programs that can do this. The fact is, the media companies don't want you doing this for obvious reasons. Anyone who wrote a program to do this would likely get slammed with lawsuits.
Nothing000
How do I do this? Is there any free software. I have been looking for hours without any luck. Please help me, I really need to record this video soon.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Wait, do you want to record a video that is being streamed from some website... or do you want to create a video so that you can stream to other people?

I don't think divx is capable of streaming in the first place.

The file type is actually called: "DivX Ticket File". It is a streaming video that I rented, therefore I only have a limited time to record it.

I want to record the streamed video onto my HD.

Divx Ticket file? Never heard of it, sounds cool.

You probably can't do it though... I remember a few yers ago wanting to record a .wma stream and i was told it just couldn't be done. Might want to google around for something like that.

Dude, I have been googling for about an hour.

Can't I just record everything that is on my screen? You know, like record me typing this now and every thing on my screen?

Like using Camtasia? That could be possible, but I don't think I would recommend it. How long are these streaming videos?

it is just one file, and it is about 1.5 hrs. Why wouldn't you recommend using that. And what is that thing you mentioned?

Last edited:
Will this Catmania program work?

I downloaded this Catmania program, and i can only figure out how to capture still images. How do you get it to catpture video?

I got it to capture the video, but with no audio? Can you not record both audio and video?

You can record audio, I believe. I am unsure about Camtasia because I believe if you want good quality, you will end up with HUGE file sizes for long videos.

In purely technical terms it is possible to capture and save the file (its all just data after all) but I don't know of any programs that can do this. The fact is, the media companies don't want you doing this for obvious reasons. Anyone who wrote a program to do this would likely get slammed with lawsuits.

Nothing000 said:
it is just one file, and it is about 1.5 hrs. Why wouldn't you recommend using that. And what is that thing you mentioned?

1.5hours of recording what is on your screen would just plow through your hard drive like nobodys business. A fully compressed ~640x480 video at 1.5 hours is probably 1GB. Now a normal desktop these days is either 1024x768 or 1280x960 which would be like 3-4GB. What you'll be dealing with, however, is uncompressed video. That is when you start talking about tens or hundreds of GBs of data

Ahh, I missed the video length. I agree with Pengwuino, 1.5hrs is way too long.

Speaking of big ass file sizes... anyone see that dell XPS commercial where they are offering terrabyte hard drives? What idiot buys dell off a tv and actaully needs ... hell more then 100GB let alone a terrabyte?

I have a few hundred gigs on one of my harddrives to spare. I am not worried about the size.

franznietzsche said:
In purely technical terms it is possible to capture and save the file (its all just data after all) but I don't know of any programs that can do this. The fact is, the media companies don't want you doing this for obvious reasons. Anyone who wrote a program to do this would likely get slammed with lawsuits.

Beer companies also don't want people to brew there own beer, but that doesn't stop the millions of people that brew dope in their own home.

Hope that hard drive is fast enough to keep up with the writings.

Nothing000 said:
Beer companies also don't want people to brew there own beer, but that doesn't stop the millions of people that brew dope in their own home.

Your belongings aren't searchable on google.

Nothing000 said:

Beer companies can't sue you for thousands of dollars for making moonshine either. I think you missed the point.

I record streaming media off the internet by doing the following:

mplayer -dumpstream <stream location>

mplayer will generate a file called stream.dump

I do this in Linux of course. I don't know about Windows.

franznietzsche said:
Beer companies can't sue you for thousands of dollars for making moonshine either. I think you missed the point.
All I am saying is if one were to attempt to create a product that has already been patended then the company would not like to see any individual make a product that is of higher quality than said companies product. For instance: If I were to brew my own dope in my basement and then sell this alchohol to anyone that wanted to buy it, I guarantee you that the CEO of the main company wouldn't sleep easy that night! Simple economics.

Last edited:
Supply and Demand my friend, supply and demand.

Nothing000 said:
All I am saying is if one were to attempt to create a product that has already been patended then the company would not like to see any individual make a product that is of higher quality than said companies product. For instance: If I were to brew my own dope in my basement and then sell this alchohol to anyone that wanted to buy it, I guarantee you that the CEO of the main company wouldn't sleep easy that night! Simple economics.

The better analogy is if you bought a case of budlight or something and then resold it as "Nothing000's Famous Brew". That's illegal. The reason you'd get sued is not because you made a program, it's because you're violating the companies copyright entitlements. They have the right, and payed good money for that right, to sell separate viewings of a certain file. You recording it and re-selling it is the absolute equivalent of going into a movie theatre, recording a movie and selling it on the street.

Nothing000 said:

No, you just don't get it.

Recording a video that is streamed to you as a rental is effectively stealing. If you get caught, you will get sued. Its not the same as selling your own videos.

Incidently, you can use mplayer in windows, so dduardo's method should work. Didn't know mplayer could do that.

Ahh... There is one simple loop hole though. I can record the video, and then sell it to people and then they can give it away. I will also super impose images of the actors in the video drinking my dope that I brewed. Then the cash will come flowing in. That is how I will solve my problem.

I just found a loophole in the system that worked for me. I went to my temp internet files and copied the downloaded files from there. That was from Divx stage six site. Hope that helps

Video Screen Capture Audio Devices

:rofl:FreeWare Video Screen Capture

http://www.geocities.com/billyrferrell/CamStudio20.zip
http://www.geocities.com/billyrferrell/CamStudioCodec10.zip
=================================================

Control Panel open Sounds and Audio Devices

Sounds and Audio Devices Properties

audio
Sound Recording
Default device:
Line in/Mic in

open:
Volume
Recording Control
Micophone X Mute
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Sound playback
open:
Volume
Front Green in X Mute
Front Pink in X Mute
Microphone X mute

Will Not Capture in Windows Media Player. For windows make the Software that way for are Copy Rights. For know one have the right to Copy a DVD!

1. How do I choose the best software for recording streaming DivX video?

There are several factors to consider when choosing software for recording streaming DivX video, such as compatibility with your device and operating system, user-friendly interface, and advanced features like video editing and scheduling. It is recommended to read reviews and compare different options before making a decision.

2. Can I record streaming DivX video in high quality?

Yes, you can record streaming DivX video in high quality as long as your internet connection and computer specifications are capable of handling it. Some recording software also offers the option to adjust the video quality settings to your preference.

3. Is there a limit to the length of the video I can record?

It depends on the recording software you are using. Some software may have a time limit for recording, while others allow unlimited recording. It is best to check the features of the software before using it.

4. Can I record multiple streaming DivX videos at the same time?

Yes, some recording software allows you to record multiple streaming DivX videos simultaneously. However, this may require a more powerful computer and internet connection to avoid any lag or quality issues.

5. How can I save and access my recorded streaming DivX videos?

Most recording software allows you to save your recorded videos in a specific folder on your computer. You can also choose to save them directly to a cloud storage service for easier access and sharing. Make sure to check the saving options in your chosen recording software.