How to record the frequency of a string using a phone

In summary, the conversation discusses using a string attached to a fixed end with a weight to create tension and the issue of measuring the frequency of the string. Suggestions are given to use a notebook computer and Audacity or various types of pickups, such as piezoelectric or humbucker, to record or measure the frequency. The issue of the string not creating an audible frequency due to lack of resonance is also addressed.
Ordinary
I am currently conducting an experiment where I attach a string to a fixed end and run the other end over a pulley (assuming zero friction). A weight is tied to the end to create tension. We currently have length, mass per unit -length and tension, the only issue is measuring the frequency of the string. Is there any way to use a phone or other simple means to record or measure this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dr. Courtney said:
https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1211/1211.4832.pdf

Use a notebook computer and Audacity.

The only issue is that there is nothing for the sound to resonate against meaning the string does not create an audible frequency.

Ordinary said:
The only issue is that there is nothing for the sound to resonate against meaning the string does not create an audible frequency.
Well the strings energy is going somewhere. In a loud backstage area, too loud to tune an unplugged electric guitar by ear, you can bite down on a guitar headstock and hear enough to tune up. Vibrations are transferred directly to your ear drums. The modern equivalent is to touch your cell phone to your guitar and use a tuner app (or use a contact tuner). If that doesn't work a contact transducer can be used, sandwich it wherever vibrations are transmitted, coin piezo's are just a few cents each.

Something must be vibrating. Buy a cheap suction cup microphone and attach it.

Use guitar strings and a guitar pick up attached to a CRO.

houlahound said:
Use guitar strings and a guitar pick up attached to a CRO.

Regular electric guitar pick up affect the pitch of the string, it's inherent to their operation, the string must be in the magnetic field and so it's tension is increased. Not a problem for music as it's normally below the human pitch perception threshold (or is swamped by other factors) but may be a problem for a science experiment.

Ordinary said:

Does the string vibrate within the audio range (say 100 Hz - 10 kHz)?

1. How can I record the frequency of a string using my phone?

To record the frequency of a string using your phone, you will need to download a frequency recording app from the app store. These apps use the microphone on your phone to detect and measure the frequency of a sound or string.

2. Can I use my phone's built-in voice recorder to record the frequency of a string?

No, the built-in voice recorder on your phone is not designed to measure frequency. You will need to use a specialized frequency recording app to accurately measure the frequency of a string.

3. How accurate are frequency recording apps on phones?

The accuracy of frequency recording apps on phones can vary. Some apps may have a higher precision and accuracy than others. It is important to read reviews and do research before choosing an app to use for recording the frequency of a string.

4. Are there any free frequency recording apps available for phones?

Yes, there are many free frequency recording apps available for both iOS and Android devices. However, these apps may have limited features and may not be as accurate as paid apps. It is important to do research and read reviews before choosing a free app to use for recording frequency.

5. Can I use my phone to record the frequency of any type of string?

Yes, most frequency recording apps on phones are designed to measure the frequency of any type of string, from guitar strings to piano strings. However, some apps may have specific settings for certain types of strings or instruments, so it is important to check the app's features and settings before recording.