Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to remember static IP address

1. Oct 3, 2011 #1
    Hi! I have Windows 7 installed on my laptop. At home we have a wireless router, which in order to work, requires me to put in static IP addresses and DNS servers in the network connection's TCP/IP settings. In my university, in order for the internet to work, I have to tell the computer to obtain these automatically. When I do this, the Static IP addresses and DNS servers are forgotten... So every single time I need to take my laptop to the university, when I come home, I need to retype those numbers. Is there anything I can do to avoid this? For example, how can I set up two wireless connections, one being static and the other dynamic?

My phone remembers the static numbers I entered in it so I can easily switch between dynamic and static... Why doesn't the computer do that?

Thanks for any suggestions,
    -Tusike

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2011 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

It's possible that the ip settings are stored in the registry. If so, and you can find the registry entry (using regedit), you could export a .reg file. Then you can just "open" or double click the .reg file to restore the registry setting. You could create one .reg file with the static ip, and the other without a static ip.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook