How to remove moisture from a gas?

• Thread starter Topher925
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
In summary, a coelscer is a device used to remove moisture from a gas. The usual way is to cool the gas, eg with liquid nitrogen. Or an absorber, ( eg Linde Molecular Sieve) the sieve material works best if you can keep it cool.
Topher925
Whats a simple and easy way to remove moisture from a gas, for example H2 or N2 with some water vapor mixed in it. Do those dryers that you often find on industrial air compressors remove almost all the humidity from the air? The only thing that I can think of is to cool the air below zero, let all the water condense, and then reheat the gas. But this method doesn't seem very practical and I'm wondering there is a better way.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Usual way is cooling, eg LN2 trap if you have some LN2 lying around.
Or an absorber, ( eg Linde Molecular Sieve) the sieve material works best if you can keep it cool and ultimately will saturate and need drying out.

Hi Topher. Is this to remove moisture from a flow inside a piping system? If so, you could start with a http://www.velcon.com/cartridges/coalescer.html" . They'll remove gross water contamination. When a gas such as air is compressed, it can't hold as much water (per unit mass) so water often comes out downstream of air compressors and is removed with a coelescer.

You could also use a desiccant which removes water vapor from either a piping system or could be used to remove water from a stationary volume of air. I've also seen http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=molecular+sieve+desiccant&aq=f&aqi=g2&aql=&oq=" used in piping systems to bring dew points down to very low levels.

If this is for a house or enclosed volume of air, a dehumidifier will do the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Q_Goest said:
Hi Topher. Is this to remove moisture from a flow inside a piping system?

I guess you could say that. The application is an electrolyzer where I am trying to store H2 in a hydride and O2 in an accumulator. For both gases, the storage mechanisms require the gases to be as dry as possible. I'm thinking of putting some trap inline with the outlet that contains some silica decant which I can periodically remove to dry out.

You should get zeolite/mol sieve rather than just silica gel, 5nm power size if normal for water.
It works a lot better if you can keep it cool, doesn't have to be refrigerated but you don't want it just above the compressor motor.

You might want a simpler filter first if you think you will have oil from the compressor - oil kills mol sieve.
Drying it out is just a case of putting it in a regular warm oven (>100c) for an hour and putting it back in while still hot.

Desiccant dryers will get air down to a -40 dew point. They do work but are expensive. I don't know of any small units.

we have a refridgeration unit on our shop air
it works very well
the compressors are outside and we never have any water in the system in house(houston always has high RH, so that is saying something)

dr

lot of dryers at mcmaster -carr
ttp://www.mcmaster.com/#air-dryers/=60xozw

1. How does moisture get into gas?

Moisture can enter gas through a variety of sources, such as ambient air, condensation, or chemical reactions. For example, when gas is transported or stored, it may come into contact with humid air which can lead to moisture absorption.

2. Why is it important to remove moisture from gas?

Moisture in gas can cause a number of issues, including corrosion, damage to equipment, and decreased efficiency. It can also affect the quality and purity of the gas, which is particularly important in industries such as food and pharmaceuticals.

3. What methods are used to remove moisture from gas?

There are several techniques for removing moisture from gas, including absorption, adsorption, and condensation. Absorption involves using a liquid or solid desiccant to absorb the moisture from the gas. Adsorption utilizes a porous material, such as activated carbon, to trap the moisture molecules. Condensation involves cooling the gas to a temperature where the moisture condenses and can be removed as liquid.

4. How do I know if my gas has too much moisture?

The amount of moisture that can be present in gas varies depending on the type and application of the gas. However, a common indication of excessive moisture is the presence of fog or dew in the gas. Additionally, if the gas is being used for a specific process, the manufacturer may have guidelines for the maximum allowable moisture content.

5. Can I remove moisture from gas using DIY methods?

Removing moisture from gas requires specialized equipment and expertise. While there are some DIY methods that may help reduce moisture levels, such as using a desiccant or cooling the gas, these may not be effective or safe for all types of gas. It is best to consult a professional for proper moisture removal from gas.