How to represent light as a sinusoidal function

In summary, the conversation discusses the representation of light as a simple sinusoidal function and the possibility of graphing it on a cartesian plane. The question of feasible units for amplitude is also brought up, specifically in regards to representing amplitude in both v/m and tesla. The individual also mentions a helpful website for understanding electromagnetic waves.
hlapolar
I have seen many equations light as a wave but none of which have represented light as a simple sinusoidal function. I want to be able to graph light waves on a cartesian plane as one sine curve. I know that light isn't that simple but could light be represented as a 2 dimensional sine curve. Also what would feasible units for amplitude be? Is there a way to represent amplitude both in v/m and tesla for electric and magnetic fields? If you could explain each part of the equation that would be great.

Science news on Phys.org
You are probably looking for something more quantitative but this site helped me get some sort of visual understating of E&M waves.
http://www.enzim.hu/~szia/cddemo/edemo0.htm
http://www.enzim.hu/~szia/emanim/emanim.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a sinusoidal function?

A sinusoidal function is a mathematical expression that models a periodic phenomenon, such as the movement of a pendulum or the oscillation of a spring. It takes the form of y = A sin(Bx + C), where A is the amplitude, B is the frequency, and C is the phase shift.

2. How is light represented as a sinusoidal function?

Light can be represented as a sinusoidal function by using the wave-like properties of light. The amplitude of the function represents the intensity or brightness of the light, while the frequency and phase shift can be used to describe the color and wavelength of the light.

3. What factors affect the properties of a light's sinusoidal function?

The properties of a light's sinusoidal function can be affected by several factors, including the source of the light, the medium it is traveling through, and any obstacles or interactions it may encounter during its path.

4. How can we use a sinusoidal function to analyze light behavior?

By representing light as a sinusoidal function, we can use mathematical techniques to analyze its properties and behavior. This can help us understand how light interacts with different materials and how it can be manipulated and controlled for various applications.

5. Are there limitations to representing light as a sinusoidal function?

While a sinusoidal function can accurately describe many aspects of light, it is not always a perfect representation. For example, it cannot fully capture the wave-particle duality of light, where it can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behaviors. Additionally, in some cases, other mathematical models may be more appropriate for representing light.