1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to scale a logistic equation to become dimensionless?

1. Sep 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have an equation: dN/dt = N(r-a(N-b)^2) where r,a,b>0 are constants and I need to scale it to the dimensionless form dn/dtao=n(1-a(n-1)^2), however, I tried many ways and I am still unable to get it into the form. The question also suggests using n=N/c and tao=t/d as a substitution.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to first expand out the N in the original equation and tried a separation of equation form to get the N's all on one side and dt on the other, but I can't seem to do this. I've also tried to substitute the suggested substitutions, however I can't seem to get it to the form either... :(

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Please show your work then. The given substitutions will work, you just have to find c and d (that will become clear once you simplify the equation).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted