How to select a smoothing capacitor?

• Thread starter grasscut
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitor
In summary, piezo generators are not very efficient at generating power. It is recommended to use a capacitor to smooth the output voltage.
grasscut
Im doing piezoelectric energy harvesting, with a circuit with full bridge rectifier, smoothing capacitor and resistive load. May i know how can i select a value of the smoothing capacitor for this situation? I read some article, they recommend 1000uF but didnt mention more information on why isit so

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your load and the condenser act like an rc low pass filter. Your choice depends on the frequency characteristic of your voltage source and the sensitivity of your load against over voltage.

my piezo is generating around 28V of rectified voltage at 17 Hz at resonance. how do i justify if i were to use 1000uF?

grasscut said:
my piezo is generating around 28V of rectified voltage at 17 Hz at resonance. how do i justify if i were to use 1000uF?
here's how to get a decent estimate without calculus
... decide how much ripple you want at your anticipated load current
let's say you are happy with 10%
28 v average is 44 peak
but from what you describe i doubt you'll get that much
let's guess you get 30 under load >>>> just a guess, tune this up with your measured values
10% of that is 3 volts
and 17 hz is 29.4 milliseconds between full wave rectified peaks
if your voltage is to droop 3 volts in those 29.4 milliseconds between peaks , that's a voltage change Δv/Δt of 3volts/0294seconds = 102 volts/sec
i = c X Δv/Δt, so
c = i/(Δv/Δt )
so your capacitor in farads should be (your load current in amps)/102 ,

You can work it backward and iterate in on an answer too,
since i = c X Δv/Δt , 1000 uf will give 3 volts ripple for load current of 102 milliamps

have fun

and believe in your basics. They solve 99 % of all problems.

old jim

grasscut said:

By that do you mean the 17Hz signal from the pizeo, when rectified, supplies 28V? Is that with some kind of cap and no load?
That would be different from what Jim is assuming.

The principles are the same, though. When you load the piezo the voltage at your rectifier output will drop and you will see ripple.

The answer to your question will depend not only on your piezo source, but also on the demands of your loads, i.e. how smooth your output voltage has to be.

wow
piezo transducers are essentially a charge pump
if this piezo datasheet is typical
then even one milliamp is optimistic let alone 102 of them

upload_2016-2-18_2-52-49.png

http://www.piezo.com/prodproto4EHkit.html

i'm not sure what they mean by (microApeak/Hz)
...if that thing puts out 57 microamps
by i = c X Δv/Δt , Δv/Δt = i/c = 0.000057/ 0.001 = .057volts/sec
which between your 17 hz peaks is only .057v/s X .0294s = 1.68 millivolts

so, for that sensor, 1000 microfarads is more than large enough to accept all the charge the sensor can pump out with almost no change in voltage..

if your piezo generator is similar ,
there's a justification - 1000 uf is more than big enough to capture and smooth the feeble pulses of current it generates.

jim hardy said:
there's a justification - 1000 uf is more than big enough to capture and smooth the feeble pulses of current it generates.
Yes, but probably it will take a year to charge up the capacitor.

DrDu said:
Yes, but probably it will take a year to charge up the capacitor.

grasscut said:
Im doing piezoelectric energy harvesting

he needs to learn .

meBigGuy said:
By that do you mean the 17Hz signal from the pizeo, when rectified, supplies 28V? Is that with some kind of cap and no load?
That would be different from what Jim is assuming.

The principles are the same, though. When you load the piezo the voltage at your rectifier output will drop and you will see ripple.
What i meant was, in order to obtain the best output result from the piezoelectric, the piezoelectric needs to vibrate at its resonance to produce the maximum output. 28 V is just a rectified voltage without any capacitor or loads.

jim hardy said:
he needs to learn .
thanks jim and dr du for the help. I am trying to obtain the maximum output power from the piezoelectric and needed to explain why i chose the value of the smoothing capacitor. eventually, my resistance load will be an rechargeable battery where i will use the piezoelectric to charge it up.

With a battery, you won't need any condenser at all as it acts itself like a giant condenser.

grasscut said:
eventually, my resistance load will be an rechargeable battery where i will use the piezoelectric to charge it up.

Thanks for clarifying that
piezo doesn't make significant power
i was afraid you were trying to reduce your electric bill or something

i hope you'll post photos, partslist and results
it might come in handy to know how to make one

old jim

DrDu said:
With a battery, you won't need any condenser at all as it acts itself like a giant condenser.
jim hardy said:
Thanks for clarifying that
piezo doesn't make significant power
i was afraid you were trying to reduce your electric bill or something

i hope you'll post photos, partslist and results
it might come in handy to know how to make one

old jim
Im doing it for my project, a piezoelectric energy harvesting project. Indeed the output power is not too significant. it can produce a good voltage, but not so much on the current.
I got my piezoelectric material, PZT from APC International.

1. What is the purpose of a smoothing capacitor?

A smoothing capacitor is a type of passive electronic component that is used to filter out unwanted fluctuations or noise in the output of a power supply. It helps to stabilize the output voltage and make it more consistent.

2. How do I determine the value of a smoothing capacitor?

The value of a smoothing capacitor is typically determined based on the load current and the desired amount of ripple in the output voltage. A general rule of thumb is to use a capacitance value that is 10 times greater than the load current in amps.

3. What happens if I use too small of a smoothing capacitor?

If the smoothing capacitor is too small, it may not be able to filter out all of the noise and fluctuations in the output voltage. This can result in a higher amount of ripple and a less stable output voltage, which can potentially damage electronic components.

4. Can I use multiple smoothing capacitors?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple smoothing capacitors in parallel to increase the overall capacitance. This can be useful if a single capacitor is not enough to filter out all of the noise in the output voltage.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when selecting a smoothing capacitor?

In addition to the capacitance value, it is important to also consider the voltage rating, temperature rating, and frequency response of the smoothing capacitor. These factors can affect the performance and reliability of the capacitor in different operating conditions.