Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to select passive antenna for 2.4GHz system

1. Nov 26, 2014 #1
    Hi, I need to select a passive 50 Ohm surface mount chip Antenna (size 3.2x1.6x1.2 mm) for my WiFi radio. Can I use any 50 Ohm chip Antenna available?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2014 #2
    What do you mean by any? Antenna size should match wave frequency. Too big or to small and expect problems with reception.

4. Nov 26, 2014 #3
    Hi zoki85, the footprint on my PCB is 3.2x1.6x1.2mm, antenna will have to fit into the footprint space. I am looking at the following antenna for my WiFi module:
    2450AT18B100E (2450 MHz 50 Ohm Antenna). In your opinion, will this antenna work well in a WiFi module? What are the critical parameters in selecting RF antenna in general?
    Thank you.

5. Nov 26, 2014 #4
    I don't know will it work well (meaning of these numbers is unknown to me). Wave resonant frequency and impedance matching to auxilary circuit are the most important parameters.

6. Nov 26, 2014 #5
    Thank you zoki85

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook