How to show U and W direct sum of V?

  • Thread starter Thread starter cookiesyum
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Direct sum Sum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
cookiesyum
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Let V = R^3. Let W be the space generated by w = (1, 0, 0), and let U be the subspace generated by u_1 = (1, 1, 0) and u_2 = (0, 1, 1). Show that V is the direct sum of W and U.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try and follow the forum guidelines, ok? Show an attempt or state what's confusing you. Don't just post the question. You want to show each vector in V=R^3 can be expressed as the sum of a vector in U and a vector in W in a unique way. Try it.
 
Last edited:
Dick said:
Try and follow the forum guidelines, ok? Show an attempt or state what's confusing you. Don't just post the question. You want to show each vector in V=R^3 can be expressed as the sum of a vector in U and a vector in W in a unique way. Try it.

Yes, I will. I'm sorry about the misunderstanding, I'm new to this forum.

First I let v = (2, 2, 1) E in R^3. Then I showed that v = u1 + u2 + w = (1 1 0) + (0 1 1) + (1 0 0) = (2 2 1) which still E in R^3. Now, how do I show that the intersection of U and W contains only 0. Do I do this by showing u1, u2, and w are linearly independent?
 
Well, you've only shown that one particular vector can be expressed as a sum, but you have show that way of decomposing v is unique. But, yes, if you show u1, u2 and w are linearly independent than you know that the coefficients are unique, and since there are 3 vectors, they span all of R^3.