1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to show U and W direct sum of V?

1. Feb 16, 2009 #1
    Let V = R^3. Let W be the space generated by w = (1, 0, 0), and let U be the subspace generated by u_1 = (1, 1, 0) and u_2 = (0, 1, 1). Show that V is the direct sum of W and U.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try and follow the forum guidelines, ok? Show an attempt or state what's confusing you. Don't just post the question. You want to show each vector in V=R^3 can be expressed as the sum of a vector in U and a vector in W in a unique way. Try it.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  4. Feb 17, 2009 #3
    Yes, I will. I'm sorry about the misunderstanding, I'm new to this forum.

First I let v = (2, 2, 1) E in R^3. Then I showed that v = u1 + u2 + w = (1 1 0) + (0 1 1) + (1 0 0) = (2 2 1) which still E in R^3. Now, how do I show that the intersection of U and W contains only 0. Do I do this by showing u1, u2, and w are linearly independent?

5. Feb 17, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, you've only shown that one particular vector can be expressed as a sum, but you have show that way of decomposing v is unique. But, yes, if you show u1, u2 and w are linearly independent than you know that the coefficients are unique, and since there are 3 vectors, they span all of R^3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook