How to Simplify the Derivative of s=(t2)(1/7)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jim4592
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Jim4592
Messages
49
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find ds/dt for s=(t2)(1/7)


Homework Equations


I attempted to find the answer by using the chain rule...


The Attempt at a Solution


ds/dt = (1/7)*(t2)-(6/7)*(2t)
ds/dt = (2/7)*t*(t2)-(6/7)

I believe that would be the answer but the problem is that the answer key in the book tells me that ds/dt = (2/7)t-(5/7)

I don't understand what they did to cancel out the t2 ang get the power to be -5/7
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Simplify 's' first before you take the derivative. Remember the properties of exponents.
 
Jim4592 said:

Homework Statement


Find ds/dt for s=(t2)(1/7)


Homework Equations


I attempted to find the answer by using the chain rule...


The Attempt at a Solution


ds/dt = (1/7)*(t2)-(6/7)*(2t)
ds/dt = (2/7)*t*(t2)-(6/7)
Your answer is correct, but it's not as simplified as it can be. Also, using the chain rule led to a lot of unnecessary work that could have been avoided by simplifying the expression first.

(2/7)*t*(t2)-(6/7)
=(2/7) *t* t-12/7
=(2/7) *t7/7* t-12/7
= (2/7) * t-5/7

Jim4592 said:
I believe that would be the answer but the problem is that the answer key in the book tells me that ds/dt = (2/7)t-(5/7)

I don't understand what they did to cancel out the t2 ang get the power to be -5/7